An Acceptance of Sorts

Severus calmed you as best he could, being careful not to touch you, he managed to get you to sit in Albus's office chair. Once you were relatively safe from falling or any other fits of confusion, he watched as you rested your arms on the desk and your head on your arms. Even though you had been frantic just minutes ago, you were now silent.

His fists tightened, trying to formulate a quick plan. Taking his wand from his robe, he reluctantly turned from you to the Pensieve. The marked bottles lay strewn on the floor around the stone structure, void of the memories they once held. Severus knew why you had done it, why you had been so compelled but knowing the weight of the memories Albus had left you with, mixed with his own experience of abuse, worried him; he had wanted to protect you from whatever other agony Albus relieved you of for as long as possible and in his mind, it hadn't been long enough. But he knew It was inevitable and it was your choice and as angry as he might be that you sneaked out in the middle of the night to do so, he would rein in that anger, keep it at bay the best he could.

Wordlessly he raised the bottles from the floor and they took up their old places in the cabinet. Severus noted that you'd missed out over half a dozen vials, the memories still present inside of them. The cupboard closed itself once it was neatly arranged.

You stared at the bookshelf across the room from your slumped position, the words seemed meaningless, incomprehensible. The rushes of waves through your mind were overriding any outward distractions, bar Severus, you were more than aware of his presence in the room and you were still reeling from attacking him. Raising your head, you caught the Pensieve closing, enshrining your memories behind the ornate wood.

Severus turned and locked eyes with you, he was surprised you were watching. He did not look angry, for which you were greatly relieved.

"Did I hurt you?" You asked quietly, wracked with guilt, your eyes falling from his. Albus's office didn't feel warm to you anymore, in any sense of the meaning. You wriggled your slipper-covered toes under the desk, to bring them back to life, apprehensive of his answer.

"Only my pride," Severus replied trying not to look too serious as you sheepishly looked back at him, he knew you responded better to humour than most other things, "remind me never to duel you."

Though you tried to laugh, the jolt to your body quickly had you creating fresh tears. Severus was at your side as fast as he could be; his back didn't matter now, that would be easily solved once he returned to his quarters and could access his potion stock.

"Let's get you back to your quarters, you'll feel better there. The Pensieve can be a jarring experience." He relayed from experience and was mindful not to touch you again, though he desperately wanted to take you in his arms; the past 3 months had been a cycle of cruelty on your mind and body and he felt a compulsion to fix them all. There was also the selfish part of Severus that wanted to know if your bond had been re-sparked. "Albus is a ridiculously early riser, let's not have that showdown now."

Finally, you looked at him, and his eyes matched the sorrow of your own. What he had seen through your touch had been brief but it was enough to know that it was horrifying and he could more than relate to every feeling of anguish inside of you. He even found himself not being shocked at the hue of your eyes and the stark streak that ran down your hair. You'd never love it, he knew that, but he could. He would if it stayed that way.

Swiping the tears from your eyes, you nodded your head, you were ready to get far away from Albus's office now. "Okay. Thank you for coming for me...again."

"No thanks necessary," was all he replied and he genuinely meant it, too.

Severus rose from his crouched position next to you and winced slightly at the pain in his lower back, though he did his best to hide that from you. Neither of you chanced another glance at the Pensieve as you walked past it and out of the large door to the staircase.