I Need A Witness

Sitting in the Great Hall for your morning meal reminded you of your teenage years; gossiping with friends and looking out for the latest love interest. You realised it wasn't that much different, except you had a better view of the person you were looking for and it was the teachers gossiping in your ear.

You told yourself you were going to be an adult about it. You had done nothing wrong and nothing had happened and even if it had, what's it his business? Yes, you would look like a hypocrite but that would be it. It's not like Severus would be interested in your romantic relationships. Why would he?

You were pushing around some bacon on your plate when he walked in, all billowing robes and broody stares. It made your stomach tighten. Yes, you were going to be an adult about it but you could also be nervous too. The fact that your stomach seemed to do all sorts of weird and wonderful tricks when he was around, pissed you off; you had no space for these types of feelings. He bounded up the few stairs to the top table which made your stomach wind up tighter. He was holding something but you couldn't quite tell what it was; you didn't need to wonder about it for too long though, as it hit the table right in front of you.

"Well done, Miss l/n, you have joined the school's celebrity ranks." In front of you, on the front page of The Daily Prophet, stood Lockhart, Harry Potter, and you, smiling in Flourish and Blotts. You were speechless. He leered down over you, "Do what you will in your personal time, but keep your head out of the clouds when you are assisting me and keep your rendezvous to your private quarters."

He gave you no time to reply as he brushed past your chair and sat on the end of the row, immediately conversing with Professor Burbage.

You felt like a child and like a child a surge of anger hit you. Where does he get the gall? Where do any of these men get their gall? Severus, Lockhart, and Lucius. They were all infuriating. The term hadn't even started yet and you were tired. That's it, it was time to focus on yourself and work. They were simply your colleagues; you'd be polite like a colleague and that would be all they would get from you.

Lockhart plopped himself in the seat next to you as you sat inwardly seething. "You've seen it then?" He said gesturing to the paper.

"Yes, I have seen it, Professor Lockhart." You spat back. Obviously.

"Look how good we look. Fantastic publicity for the book and the school. The Potter boy doesn't have to buy his books now either."

You were confused. "His books?"

"Well yes, all my books are on this year's reading list." He said proudly.

You couldn't believe it. You didn't own a single one and had never intended to read them either. However, you were in no position to argue it. Has Dumbledore really approved this? This was madness, what were they going to learn from fiction?

"I'll have signed copies sent to your room this afternoon. Only the best for the best," he said then winked.

With your breakfast feeling like it might make a reappearance, and his hand moving ever closer to yours, you excused yourself, before you stabbed him in the offending appendage.

Tomorrow the students would arrive and you could settle into the year. You told yourself that over and over throughout the day as you busied yourself with lesson plans and last-minute reading. Only leaving your quarters for food.

The year did not get off to a flying start. Well, technically it did for two boys. You were heading to the Great Hall, ready for the first years to be sorted into their houses when a hand grabbed your elbow and pulled you away from your destination.