Is the Doc In? | Prologue

Ava Santiago, a recent graduate from med school and newly licensed doctor, is just getting by with her late father's at-home clinic. But a rundown family business isn't the only thing he's left her.

As unpaid debts start piling up and calls from collection agencies become the norm, Ava discovers just how much her father borrowed to get her through university. And that isn't even the least of her worries. Just when she thought things couldn't get any worse, a group of men show up during the unholy hours of the night, claiming to be her father's biggest creditors. 

Maybe things would have gone smoother if they hadn't also been the local street gang, notorious for bashing heads and making babies cry. 

Eyeing the steadily decreasing sum of money in her bank account, Ava crosses her fingers and decides to strike up an unlikely deal: in exchange for clearing up the debt, they'll get a steady supply of prescription meds (yes, this is quite illegal, she's well aware) and cost-free urgent care. She's willing to risk it all, even her medical license, if it means getting rid of these men. Surely things will go back to the way they were, afterwards. 

But unfortunately for her, the leader's eyes soon shift their attention from the medicine bottles lining the clinic shelves to the doctor herself. 

A/N:
Now that I'm writing this out, it only makes sense to include a fair warning to all my readers. This story will briefly mention drug misuse/abuse. Not in the way of addiction or overdose, but just as a plot element. (And as strange as it may sound, I just needed a place to dump some extra info after helping a friend, whose a pharmacology major, study for finals).

Still, abusing and misusing prescription medications is not a joke. It can lead to physical, social, and/or emotional harm of all sorts. So if this makes you uncomfortable by any means, feel free to skip it. And my dms are alway open if you're looking for someone to lend an ear. Stay safe y'all <3