A Portrait and a Promise | 02

The next morning, Remi woke up extra early. It would be her first day at the new high school and she wanted to get a sense of her classes before the hallways got too crowded. So instead of taking the bus, she begged her mom to drop her off. After the principal had shown her around the school, Remi made her way to her newly assigned locker. By the time she had unpacked her belongings, students were already coming in through the front doors.

When she walked into General Chemistry, her first class of the day, her face instantly lit up. Aside from a few other students, the room was practically empty. But one familiar face stood out from the rest. The girl sitting in the back row squealed when she saw Remi as well.

"Rem!" she dropped her phone which clattered onto the lab bench. A few others turned their heads to see what was happening. "Omg girl, it really is you!" She pulled her into a bone-crunching hug. "You know, when you said you'd be transferring to Rockstone High, I was so thrilled. I couldn't believe it." She looked like she was about to cry.

"Me too, Samara!" Remi smiled. "Haven't seen you since summer vacation." Samara was a childhood friend of Remi's. They'd both attended the same elementary school but samara moved sometime later, switching to a different school district entirely. But their parents were good friends as well so they saw each other frequently during holidays and family gatherings.

When they pulled apart, Samara's smile fell. "I know you're probably upset about having to move, though. I've been through it too but don't worry, this school's great. And the teachers are super chill as well. I think you'll love it."

Remi smiled. She did miss her old friends. But they promised to keep in touch. And besides, ever since her mom got transferred to teach at a different university, she knew they'd be moving sooner or later.

The girls talked for a while longer as other students filed into the classroom. When she saw someone repeatedly looking at the seat she'd temporarily taken, Remi got up. Looking to her friend, she asked, "Hey, Samara, is there a seat that's usually empty? I don't want to end up taking someone else's, if you know what I mean." Even though the seats weren't assigned, Remi knew better than to sit in someone else's unassigned, assigned seat. At this point in the fall term, it was a given and she didn't want to stir up any trouble.

Samara chuckled, completely understanding what she meant. She pointed behind Remi, "That seat is actually empty." Remi turned to the lab bench in front of her friend's and smiled. Things were already off to a good start. She sat down and unpacked her things before realizing she'd spoken too soon. The girl leaned back on the barstool and was unsurprised to find that it tipped over slightly. Looking down, she spotted the fault: one of the caps at the end of the legs was missing, causing it to sit unevenly. Thankfully, she had a quick fix for that.

Making sure no one was watching, she swapped the stool with the one next to hers. A giggle sounded from behind her. Remi made herself comfortable in her new seat. Hopefully whoever her lab partner turned out to be wouldn't mind too much.

***

Moments after her presumed chemistry teacher, Ms. Johnson, walked in, the morning bell sounded through the intercom system. While she gave the class directions for their first lab, the door creaked open and someone walked in. Remi jotted down the last thing Ms. Johnson had said before looking up.

Her eyes locked with those of a certain hooded boy.

He briefly as well, though imperceptibly. Recognition flashed across his otherwise stoic face. Then with hands buried in his sweater pockets, he walked across the front of the class. By now Ms. Johnson had also stopped talking.