Chapter One: Fight At the Cafeteria

And so it began, the fight at the cafeteria. The fight that would change our lives forever. I was deep in thought, and so when my sister Leilah Richards calls my name, I have to blink rapidly to clear away the jumbles in my head.

"Hey, Earth to Missy? Earth to Missy Richards? Earth to sister?" Leilah asks. I know she's teasing me, and so I give her my biggest smile that leaks of happiness to show her I'm not depressed. Or else Leilah will be depressed too, and I don't want that.

"Yeah?" I answer. I look around at my friend. The twins, Kaitie and Andrea Summers, are in deep conversation over League of Legends. League of Legends is a PVP game that includes powers and amazing characters to play with. Everyone loves it this year, and so do I. Along with my friends.

"I said, 'Which character do you like best?'" My sister asks me. I think about it for a while.

"Ashe." I say with no hesitation, "She's totally OP." I smile and Paul Mark, my boyfriend, gives me a stunning smile.

"Well, I personally like Tryndamere." Jacob Smith says, my bro-friend.

"But Garen is better," Paul argues. I can see the tension in his eyes. This is gonna turn into a fist fight, I can just see it. And so I intercept them before another shower of words fall.

"Whatever. What do you think about prom this Friday. Only 3 more days left!" I say, and the whispers escalate to full out talking. I don't know why we whisper when we're talking, but I guess it's just like that, or maybe they're just too embarrassed to talk about it. I shake my head at the thought.

"Is everyone going to our house?" Leilah asks, after we're done talking about the dance, and the thought of romantic music.

"Yeah," Jacob says. Everyone else nods, even me, and Leilah smirks. I give her a look that says what? The bell rings and we are forced to go back to class, after all, high school doesn't end in the middle of the day. Though I wish it did.

When I get to class, Jacob is already sitting at his seat, and he gives me a smile. I return it, but I have a feeling that grin meant more than what it looked like.

At the corner of my eye, I see that he's wearing black skinny jeans, and an old gray tee-shirt he had ever since sixth grade. Then I see his eyes, and I realize that I haven't noticed them before. I've always been so enamored by Paul, that I haven't seen how bluish- greenish they are. I shake my head, pushing it out of my mind.

It's wrong, I think to myself, I like Paul, and Paul only. But I don't think I even believe myself.

The teacher drones on and on, and when the bell rings, I eagerly jump out of my seat, and Paul and I pack our things up. We walk out together, quiet.

When we all arrive at my house, we start taking out our laptops, mouses, keyboards, and our headphones. It's time to play League of Legends. I connect the wi-fi to the wall outlet and instantly, all of our laptops have internet. I smile and they smile too.

I go to the League of Legends homepage and log in, making sure to set my wanted character as Ashe. After all, I did say she was my favorite character. Then the game begins...and the lights turn off, cutting all the power in the whole house.

"No!" I shout," This can't be happening!" I nearly scream in frustration, but Paul calms me down. His very presence calms me down.

"Hey, it's okay. Everything's gonna be fine. It's just one game." He says.

"No, it's not okay, that was the game, against our biggest rival yet!" I insist. He sighs, and I know what I said was exactly what I was thinking. I decide to lash out and kick the wall. The pain that goes up my leg sends waves of hurt all over and I fall to the floor.

"Hey, hey, hey! The wall isn't a punching bag, or in your case, a kicking bag. Here, use this." Kaitie hands me a pillow. Then I start pounding it like it's the last thing on earth.

"Ugh! I wish we could've played! I would've done anything to play!" I say. Then time slows down, and I blackout. With no warning whatsoever.