Chapter 2

Xavier

The girl behind the counter curses as she stands abruptly and hits her head.

"Holy fucking balls," she says, still wincing, when she sees me. Then she starts. "Shit—I mean, fuck—I mean! Your Highness." She dips into a small, ungraceful curtsy.

"No, no," I stop her. "Please don't. I'm trying to keep a low profile."

She snorts and gives me a look, clearly amused. "Shit, I didn't mean to laugh."

"It's fine," I say. "You're right." On second thought, maybe normal clothes aren't enough of a disguise. Even a pair of sunglasses would have helped.

There's a pause, and I gesture to the counter. "Can I...?"

"Yes! Yes, of course. Sit wherever," she says, backing toward the kitchen. "I'll get... a tablet... and I'll be with you in a second."

I take a seat at the counter and spin around once on the stool.

I can hear squeals and excited conversation from the back and try unsuccessfully to make out the muffled words. Giving up, I drum my fingers and glance around. I hadn't been hungry until I walked past this place. Nothing about it suggests good food, and there's no ambiance whatsoever, but something about the girl with dyed hair playing with a towel drew me in. She's an odd character, her piercings and scowl contrasting with her pink waitress dress, but blending with the leather jacket she wore on top of it all.

She interrupts my thoughts by barging out of the kitchen, trying to keep a tall boy back. He's wearing a greasy apron, so I assume he's the chef.

"Um," she grunts, trying to hold him back with all the strength her tiny body can muster, "this is our chef, Danny. He was just leaving." She tries and fails to give him a final shove.

I attempt to hide my smile.

"Pleased to meet you, Your Highness." Danny salutes me with two fingers.

"Pleasure's all mine," I reply, amused.

Danny finally allows the girl to push him into the kitchen. She comes back a second later, smoothing out her pink dress and taking a tablet from her apron pocket.

"Can I start you off with something to drink?" she asks nervously. It's obvious she doesn't know quite how to act around me, but I'm used to it.

I glance at the menu in front of me and order a soda. She nods, makes a note, and steps into the back. It's so quiet in the café that I can hear her dump ice into a cup and fill it with my drink. She returns and hovers in front of me, hesitating before she places the drink gingerly to my right.

"Thank you, uh...?"

"Oh! I'm Janice. Janice Elliot," she says.

"Janice. Nice to meet you."

"Um, thanks." She laughs, clearly unsure of how to respond. "Do you know what you'd like or do you need a minute?" she says eventually.

"What do you recommend?" I ask.

She thinks for a minute. "You probably wouldn't like it, but the best thing Danny's ever made is a grilled cheese sandwich. Not very fit for royalty, though."

Good thing I'm taking the day off from being royalty. "I'll try it."

Janice seems surprised, but types my order down. "Fries or coleslaw? Or I can have him make a soup or salad. Anything you want."

"Fries are fine."

She makes another note and sends the order to the kitchen. "So, uh, what brings you all the way out here?"