Chapter 10

Xavier

I pound on Janice's door, slightly out of breath from my rapid trip through the tunnel.

Max pulls open the door, and I storm through it.

The first thing I see is Janice, asleep on the room's minuscule couch. Her black-and-green hair falls around her face, partially covering it. She's lying on her side, breathing steadily and deeply. If it wasn't for her bruised face bandaged forearm, she might look peaceful.

I clench my fist. This girl deserves so much better.

"Thanks for coming," Max says quietly, trying not to wake Janice.

"What the fuck happened?"

"She got jumped. Anti-Dictators," answers Max. "They're already associating her with you, and that puts her in danger."

The anger that's fueled me all day is suddenly diluted by heavy guilt. Is this my fault? I'm the one that put her in the public eye, after all. The accusing look on Max's face doesn't help, and I find myself wanting to do whatever it takes to make this up to Janice.

"She can't stay here, then," I declare.

"I had her pack a bag. She should be ready," Max says, already a step ahead of me. He crosses the room and shakes Janice gently awake.

She groans, raising a groggy hand to her head.

"Janice, we gotta go," Max says gently.

Janice sits up, wincing. When she sees me, her eyes widen and her cheeks turn pink. I give her a small wave.

"See, Max, if you'd told me he was coming over, I could have cleaned up," she mumbles, clearly embarrassed.

"Sorry," he replies, helping her stand.

She sighs. "So... he's the one I'm staying with?" she asks.

Max nods. "Is that okay with you?"

"Yeah! I mean... I guess. If I have to."

Janice throws a hoodie on to cover her face, and the three of us leave her apartment. We walk a few blocks to the dilapidated storefront that contains the passage back into the palace, and I scan my barcode. The door swings open, revealing the long, dark tunnel before us.

Janice gives Max a long hug. "Thanks for being there for me," she murmurs.

"Take care of yourself," Max tells her.

"You too." She steps into the tunnel.

Max grabs my shoulder before I can follow her.

"Listen," he starts in a low voice. "I'm gonna be honest with you—I don't like you. And if I could think of a better option, I wouldn't be sending her away with you."

"Is there a point to this?" I ask, a little offended.

"Just... don't make me regret this. Don't be a dick, don't hurt her, and don't take her for granted."

"Jesus, Max, give me a little credit, will you?"

He's not amused. "I'm serious."

"So am I," I shoot back. "I care about her too, you know."

"Xavier, are you coming?" Janice calls.

"Yeah," I reply.

I feel Max's eyes on me as I turn away from him and enter the tunnel. The door slams shut behind me, and the lights dangling from the ceiling illuminate. When the floor starts to move, Janice stumbles and falls into me.

She grunts in pain at the impact. "Sorry," she mumbles.

"It's okay," I say, smiling.

We start walking, and I can tell Janice is a bit disoriented by the moving floor. Her movements are slow and shaky, and from time to time, she has to stop to catch her breath.

"Thank you for this," she says after a while. "I guess I owe you double now."

"You don't owe me anything," I reply earnestly.

"Eh, I'll think of something." She nudges me. "Seriously, though, thank you. Not many princes would take me in like this."

"Met many princes?" I ask with a laugh.

"Oh, loads. The café is a real hotspot for royalty."

The walk to the palace is much longer than usual, but considering how much pain is in Janice's face, I'm surprised we move as fast as we do.

When we finally reach my room, Janice is so exhausted that she lays down on my floor the second we step out of the passage.

"That can't be comfortable," I say, squatting down next to her.

"Are you kidding?" she mumbles tiredly. "Your carpet is more comfortable than my bed. And I'm so beat I can't tell the difference." She tries to roll onto her side, but hisses in pain and returns to lying on her back.

"Get up, dumbass. You're taking the bed."

I help her up and lay her down in my bed. She's asleep almost the second her head touches the pillow, leaving me to stand there idly while she sleeps. It's only 18:00, so I send for an employee to bring me some dinner. I make sure to request order extra in case Janice wakes up.

I've never hidden anyone in my room before, and have no idea how. How are we supposed to sleep? How do I get enough food for two people without arousing suspicion? What if a maid comes in to clean while I'm not here?

My thoughts are interrupted by a knock at my door. I open it a crack, revealing a butler standing outside with my food. I take it quickly, thank the butler, and lock the door behind me.

My room is more than big enough to accommodate both me and Janice. I can eat at my desk without being anywhere near her personal space.

Lately, my desk has become more of a table than a work space. I used to eat with my family at our massive dining room table, but now, with my parents spending every waking moment in the war room, family dinners seem like a thing of the past. Frankly, I don't mind at all. I wouldn't want to eat with them, anyway. Not after what they've decided to put me through.

Once their stupid publicity stunt pops into my head, it's impossible to think of anything else. I'm too tired to be angry, but that doesn't stop my mood from souring.

I find it tragically ironic that just when I meet an interesting girl, this happens. I've learned more about Janice in a few unscripted conversations than I could ever learn about a girl through a couple forced interviews. The whole thing is a constant weight on my back and a thorn in my side. Why can't I be a normal kid?

I sigh, trying to shove it off as I glance at Janice. She's still dead asleep.

I have her here, so I may as well make the most of it. As much as it may hurt later, I want to spend as much time with her as I can. I've never felt this way about anyone before, and I fully intend to see where it leads.

What's the worst that could happen?

++++

I don't know, Xavier. What is the worst that could happen? Probably something pretty bad, right? I mean, I couldn't write a 50-chapter book about just the contest, could I?

So what do y'all think will happen? And what do you think so far? Drop a vote and comment if you're enjoying!!