Meeting Face-To-Face

🍭Esme's dress in picture🍭
              🍭Esme's P.O.V 🍭

The big day was finally here and as I put on my dress and fixed my hair, I could hear my brain screaming at me.

Don't do this! You don't even know if he'll like you! And you still don't know what to say if he asks where you came from?

But as I looked down through the heating duct at Willy, as he brushed his hair and put on his top hat, my heart swelled with love and warmth.

I loved him and I can't go my whole life hidden from him. It's better to just introduce myself than to have him randomly find me one day. Besides all the love stories I've read in the library say that when it comes to love you have to follow your heart not your head.

As Willy left to greet the guests, I straightened my dress and fluffed my hair a bit. I followed him until he went outside, then I waited beside the door for him to come back. As I waited I practiced on how I should introduce myself to Willy.

"'Hello Willy, how are you?" I practiced "I'm Esme.' No, that's too formal. 'Good day Willy, my name is Esme.'"

I groaned. "That's even worst!" I stomped my foot.

I was so nervous. My brain said to get out of there before he sees you, but my heart was doing little excited somersaults in my chest. Why can't my heart and my brain just get along instead of debating all the time?!

I jumped and hid around the corner as the doors opened and Willy walked in with the group of five adults and five children.

"Just drop your coats anywhere" said Willy, taking off his coat and sun goggles and throwing them to the ground.

"Mr. Wonka" said one man with a terrible comb over. "It sure is toasty in here?"

"What?" Asked Willy "Oh yeah, I have to keep it warm in here because my workers are used to an extremely hot climate, they just can't stand the cold."

"Who are the workers?" Asked a curious familiar voice.

I peeked out and saw Charlie was there! He must have won a golden ticket too! Good for him, he deserved it! Now at least I'll know someone else on the tour.

"All in good time" said Willy "now..." they began to walk down the hallway. Then a little blonde girl who was chewing away at some gum HUGGED Willy. I gasped at the same time as Willy.

"Mr. Wonka, I'm Violet Beauregarde" said the girl, smiling and chewing her gum at the same time.

"Oh" said Willy, uncomfortably "I don't care."

"Well, you should care cause I'm the girl who's going to win the special prize at the end!" Violet said, certain of herself.

"Well, you do seem confident and confidence is key" said Willy.

Then another little girl came in front of Willy, this one had brown curls and a mink fur coat on.

"I'm Veruca Salt" she said "it's very nice to meet you sir." She curtsied.

Willy smiled "I always thought a Veruca was a type of wart you got on the bottom of your foot, ha!"

A large boy eating a Wonka bar stepped in between them. "I'm Augustus Gloop" he said "I love your chocolate!"

Willy forced a smile. "I can see that" he said "so do I, I never expected to have so much in common."

He took a step forward then turned on his heel to stare at a boy with a bored expression on his face.

"You" he said "You're Mike Teavee, you're the little devil who cracked the system."

"And you" Willy turned to Charlie "well, you're just lucky to be here, aren't you?"

He looked at the other five people. "And the rest of you must be there p-" Willy tried but he could never get the P word out.

"Parents" said Mr. Salt.

"Yeah" Willy smiled nervously "moms and dads... dad... papa?"

Poor Willy, I never figured out what kind of falling out he and his father had, but it must have been terrible. He would sometimes stare off into space, remembering his father. He would always have a horrified expression on his face.

I decided to come out then and introduce myself. I took a deep breath and walked toward the group.

"Willy?" I asked meekly "Are you okay?"

Everyone turned toward me, Willy looked up and his horrified expression turned to a curious and surprised look.

"What's she doing here?" Snapped Veruca.

"She's not a golden ticket winner!" Said Violet, still chewing her gum.

"Who are you?" Growled Mike.

"M-my name is Esme" I stuttered nervously, tucking some hair behind my ear.

"How did you get in here?" Asked Augustus, ripping open another Wonka bar.

"I-I... I'm sorry, I'll go" I turned and started to walk away. I knew this was a bad idea!

"Wait" came a sweet voice. Willy's voice...

I turned around and found him staring at me. He walked towards me stopped in front of me.

"You don't have to leave" he told me "please, feel free to join the tour."

I thought about it, spending the day with my crush exploring his amazing factory together? My day just went as golden as the tickets he sent out! Oh... wait...

I looked down and bit my lip, a nervous habit of mine. "I would" I said "but I don't have a golden ticket..."

"Don't worry about that, you're already here so there's no point in rushing off now!" He smiled brightly at me.

I felt a blush creep up into my cheeks.

"Hello!" Yelled Mike "Are we going to see this dump or not?"

That struck a nerve in me. There was no need for him to be rude!

"This is a factory" I said angerily "and some people, like Willy, like to call it home. So treat it with some respect!"

Mike glared at me, I gave a small smirk back.

"Alright then" said Willy "let's move along."

I walked beside Willy at the front of the group. He turned and looked at me. Thank you he mouthed silently to me for telling Mike off.

You're welcome I mouthed back, smiling.

We came to the end of the hallway to the entrance to the chocolate room.

"An important room this is" said Willy "after all, it is a chocolate factory."

"Then why is the door so small?" Asked Mike.

"It's to keep all the great big chocolatey flavor inside!" Said Willy.

I giggled, but stopped when I noticed I was the only one laughing.

Willy unlocked the mouse-sized door and pushed open the door. Inside was something most beautiful and delicious...

AN: You guys are awesome! I love how many comments and votes this story keeps getting! Please keep it up! It inspires me to keep writing!