nine

I stared out at the crowd of people jumping to the music that blasted from the speakers as I took another sip of my fire whiskey. 

I hadn't seen Theo or Malfoy all night- not that I minded. Blaise had greeted Pansy and me as we descended down the stairs before taking hold of Pansy's waist and dragging her to the dance floor, leaving me to my own devices.

I had quickly found the alcohol before meandering over to a more secluded area of the common room. I just wanted to drown my thoughts in fire whiskey. I just wanted quiet. I didn't want to think about the events that took place today.

I didn't want to think about the fact that Theo couldn't look me in the eyes or the fact that he viewed me as tainted or the fact that with one word he could bring my whole world crashing down. 

I didn't want to feel the fear coursing through my veins anymore.

I leaned against the cold stone of the wall before tossing my head back and downing the remaining alcohol that had been in my cup. 

When I brought my face back down I was met with a pair of dashing green eyes. It took me a moment to realize I was face to face with Daphne Greengrass, and she looked pissed.

"Daphne?" 

"You fucking bitch! You filthy, godforsaken bitch!" She screamed in my face.

I didn't flinch, I just stared at her in confusion, "Why are you so angry with me?"

"Because, you- you know why!" She was talking with her hands, slipping the contents of her red cup as she slurred her words. "You're- I can't-"

"Daphne, what's wrong?" I placed a hand on her shoulder, growing concerned for the girl in front of me despite the fact that she was spewing hate towards me. She seemed unhinged, she seemed hurt.

Her eyes revealed such a deep sadness that anyone who looked into them would grow unsettled as they took note of the rippling waves of hurt that her mossy eyes reflected. She shook me off, "No! Don't touch me! He- he said you're name!"

She had begun crying and in turn, people began to notice us. 

"Daphne, I don't know what you're talking about," I whispered, trying to escape her.

She backed me into the wall again, "You're just some filthy fucking mudblood slut! That's what he calls you anyway! I don't know why he- I just don't understand-"

My face grew pale as I realized she was referring to Malfoy. 

A few of her friends had come over now in an attempt to get her away from me, but they were equally as drunk and had a hard time handling her.

She stumbled into me, looking at me with mascara stained cheeks before whispering, "He said your name while he fucked me. He moaned your godforsaken name while he came. He was thinking of you the whole time."

My mouth fell agape as her words hit me. Her friends had managed to pull her away this time and I watched them lead her to the dorms. People had returned to their normal activities as I noticed Pansy and Blaise make their way up to me. 

"Merlin, Smith, what the hell happened?" Blaise asked in astonishment. 

"What the hell did you do to piss off Greengrass?" Pansy followed up.

I sat down on the brown leather armchair, shaking my head, "I don't know."

Malfoy and Theo had made their way over to us now. I looked up to meet the icy cold stare of the gray eyes that could paralyze me in an instant. I gulped, suddenly becoming very nervous and very aware of my surroundings.