the gig / part 3

'G'morning Tom!' I say as I put my hands on the counter. No one in Tom's diner is actually called Tom but locals, including me, always say it. Lena greets me in a way that always makes me smile, even on the worst mornings.

'What'll it be V?'
I don't have to think too much about it, Jackie always wants 2 donuts and a black coffee.
'2 coffee, 1 black and 1 with a sugar and 2 glazed donuts and a jelly donut please.'
She grins and whispers under her breath 'Jackie and V, going on a mission.'
'Hey! How'd you know?'
'Heheh i know all' she grins even wider and laughs 'Just kidding, thats what u always order when youre going on a mish. usually you come in super late the next day and tell me about it while drinking you're coffee. After a while I noticed, It makes me pray to see you the next day.'
It annoys me that someone would be anxious for me, not because I dislike her, but because anything could go wrong in my line of work and if i dont come back the next day I know she would be heartbroken.
'Interesting, dont worry too much about me though, thanks for the coffee!'
I wink at her while making a mental note to always come in the next day after ordering 3 donuts and 2 coffee to not make Lena too worried.

I bang on the garage door 'Wakey wakey! hellooo?'
Suddenly a hand on my shoulder scares the crap out of me, I turn around and Jackie is standing with his arms folded over one another and a huge grin on his face.
'Jesus- you scared me man, am I at the wrong door or something?'
'No this is my place chica, I was just inside the bar getting the clothes.'
I frown
'And no! My mom did not wash them.'
My frown immediately clears up. 'What a good boy!' As if I'm speaking to a dog.
He rolls his eyes and I laugh.
'seriously though Jackster, I'm happy about that. poor mama Welles always cleaning our stuff, she deserves a vacation.'
'You could say that, yes.' He silently says.
'Onwards!' I point to my car.

1 hour later

'No jackie! You. Will. Not. Eat. My. Donut! Ugh I knew I should've gotten 4'
Jackie laughs at our bickering over the last donut.
'Fine!' he throws his hands up like an angry teen.
It always happens, and I'm sure I tell Lena about it too but she never reminds me when I come in to do the usual order, either she forgets or she likes hearing of our disputes.

We've been waiting in front of this building for so long now.
'I'm getting tired of waiting and these clothes are so scratchy!' 'Let me call her if she doesn't call soon n-' just as he says the last words of his complaint his phone rings and quickly picks up.

'Hi Wakako... yeah we're here... for a while now... no!... What do you mean too many donuts?.. watch my weight?..'
I quickly grab the phone. 'Hey Wakako! its V here!'

Hello dear, I was just telling Ja-'
'sorry to bother Wakako but is this really important to whatever we're going to do now? just tell us what to do.'
'Good, I need you to walk inside to office number 7, it'll be easy enough to find on your own and then call me back. Understood?'
'Do we really need to be handheld for this?' 'yes.'

I hear a click so there's no room or time for discussion, a long sigh escapes my mouth. Jackie looks in pain about the whole situation, even though I'm not sure if its because of the comment Wakako made, or about how she's going to walk us through it directly.
'Well, we gotta go now.' I mumble as we get out of the car.

The guard greets us and we nod while chipping our ID at a scanner, we walk inside with no suspicion from the guard whatsoever.
'That was easy.' I whisper to Jackie but he doesn't say anything back.

Inside we look around a little bit. Wakako didnt bother to give us directions but the building was a little more chaotic than expected. A line in front of the secretary and people in similar outfits running around us. Without exchanging a single word we understood that at first glance people wouldn't notice we didn't belong here but we couldn't stand around too long or someone was bound to notice. suddenly I see a map so I tug Jackie in the direction and we quickly pace to the map.