Never gets easier

Her lips were warm and soft despite being cracked. He tried his hardest not to shudder at the contact but  the contact against his skin was too much not to give into. The gesture was just a couple of quick seconds, but he took it all in not knowing if he'd feel such a sensation again any time soon. Kara pulled her lips off his skin but left her hands as they were— resting of his smooth cheeks. She admired the way his face fit in her hands, cherished it even, she used to think he was made for her in every way, used to. She let those two words linger in her head for a moment.

"Thank you." She said again after a moment, not caring if he didn't want to hear it, she needed what he gave her just now— she needed that comfort, his comfort. Something she could feel, and hold onto.

This time he couldn't even debunk her words of appreciation. His eyes were still closed and he was trying to ignore the cool air brushing against where her lips were. It was almost sad to him how a couple precious seconds could shake him up so much. She wasn't oblivious to his feelings, she knew him too well so she kissed his temple again, and again giving him a sense of comfort he was too stubborn to ask for.

"Kara." It came out as a helpless shudder, which he couldn't help if he tried.

"Just a little bit longer." She wasn't waiting for a respond, instead she wrapped her fingers around the base of his head and pulled him in. He smiled gingerly against her, and mumbled the best thing anyone could say in a moment like that.

"Okay."

                                     •

Her funeral was exactly a week after the bombing; which they and the police still have no idea who's responsible for. Kara and the whole gang attended. It was a beautiful day on paper the weather was heavenly—not a cloud in the sky but the funeral itself...dreadful, was the word. At some point in time Kara's eyes drifted from the casket and to the little boys in the very front. One of the older ones was comforting the little one who couldn't stop silent tears from falling. She only caught glances of them but from what she could tell they were splitting images of Emma.

Time passed terribly slow but the ceremony finally did wrap up and Kara hadn't been mentally present to know that until Alex nudged her only the shoulder asking if she was okay.

She wasn't. And it just got worse when the moment she'd been waiting for was right in front of her— the mother. Emma's mother. Her eyes were red— sleep deprived and teary. Her daughter must've been her mini. And speaking of mini her three boys were hanging at her hips with the same helpless look in their eyes.

"Supergirl." She greeted her in a broken smile and that at jabbed Kara's heart so quickly.

"Mrs. Jennings— I am so so sorry for...I am so sorry." She might've just started to cry in-front of the family if Mon-el hadn't stepped in.

"We are so sorry for your loss. How's— how is everyone holding up?"

Emma's mother sighed before speaking, "My husband— he was there too, at the bank. He— well he thinks it's his fault, that he couldn't keep her safe so he's just...distant. And I can't go into her room. I—I can't sleep and it's like I can't breathe...it hurts as you can imagine. I feel like— like i'm missing a part of my heart. Like my world has ended...and I don't know what to do." She was in close proximity so they all heard every word— every shudder and sigh. Everything.

"Mrs.Jennings...i'm not a father, and i can't even begin to imagine what you must feel in this moment— i just can't so i won't pretend to understand your pain, but as a person who has lost more people than i can count on both my hands...this pain isn't always going to be something that keeps you up all night. it won't pass, and it's still gonna hurt a year from now but the beauty of that is we as people who love— and lose time and time again, can still go on a year from now, and you know how we do that?"

Ms.Jennings was hanging onto every word he was saying— god they all were.

"We continue to love. It's in our nature— it's what we do. Your boys...they need you more than ever right now, they need you to tell them that everything will be okay, because that's the truth—make that their truth as well as your own. We live with pain, but we also live to love. Keep her in your hearts, because that's where she'll always be helping it beat each given day."

                                            •

"Mon-El, you are a beautiful man." Alex spoke once they all reach the tower and settled down in the conference room. Mon-El bashfully smiled at the compliment.

Kara couldn't help watching him as he smiled at the ground— her sister was beyond right and even now he had her in awe.

"You are." Kara agreed aloud. At the sound of her voice she caught his gaze, which lead to her smiling at him and nodding— further agreeing with the statement. And then she laughed actually laughed— confusing everyone, because she hadn't done so in a week. "Remember when we couldn't stand one another?" She started, "You couldn't stand me and I didn't want anything to do with you. And now you're so so hard to hate...that's— I mean you've got to laugh" Everyone stared at her funny but she didn't care— she could only focus on the small chuckle he was emitting. That small genuine beautiful laugh of his, was all she was fixated on.

"You guys are weird." Nia said looking between the both of them but smiling herself.

"Tell me about it— they used to be worse believe it or not." Alex couldn't help but say smiling at J'onn who was wearing his usual side smile.

"Yeah."

"Yeah."

They agreed in unison which made them smile even brighter at each-other.

"Well I was gonna wait until later but this seems like a good time." Kelly said as she reached into her bag, digging for something for a minute, after a while she pulled out keys— well a key, and tossed it to Mon-El. And in that moment Kara's smile grew smaller, and it looked like for a second his did too.

"Wha— thank you. Thank you so much Kelly."

"Don't thank me yet— you'll still need to sign the lease before you get all situated." Kelly said smiling and legionnaire who thanked her yet again anyways. His smile was charming and it fooled everyone but her, because his eyes...they were cloudy and dull.

Cloudy and dull.

"I'm gonna head home and change." Kara announced to everyone, she couldn't wait to take off her dress, a dress she hated having to wear, so much. In the five years she's been supergirl she's probably worn it twenty times, the first time was terrible. Oh, and it never gets any easier.