Another tip in the scale

Timing has never been a friend to Kara Zor-El. And she has more than enough reasons to prove it.

Whether it was that one time she wrecked a gender reveal party—well actually no that wasn't really her fault, because who in Gods' name brings a freakin alligator to a gender reveal party?! What happened to good old fashioned cakes? Balloons? Those little confetti blasters even?

Now a days all you hear about are monster trucks, sky divers...and well alligators. And this particular alligator was not a fan of caped wearing individuals and it made that very clear when she tried biting Kara's head off. And although Kara knew the bite wouldn't affect her in the slightest bit she jumped back- duh-
ultimately crashing into a piñata, which the alligator was supposedly supposed to bite into. The headlines about that were nothing but embarrassing.

*It's a Superboy!

*She can handle dragons, lizards, and snakes, but alligators?...that's a story for another time.

*Baby shower? More like Super disaster...In her opinion that one could use some work.

Or that one time she was supposed to go out to dinner with Alex, who just so happened to be running late that day- and m Kara was hungry...like so hungry she could devour an entire planet made out of potstickers hungry. So she ordered thinking that when Alex would come, she'd pay like she promised. she would. But get this, she canceled on her last minute, and forgot to call to tell her that. So a certain blonde got concerned after a while and called her sister only to find out that she wasn't coming, and not only was she not coming, but neither was her wallet. Which meant she probably shouldn't have ordered the special they were offering that night.

But this. THIS. was far worse than dealing with alligators and really expensive food. Because of course when anything had to do with him timing was never on her side. Whether it was that time they finally came to terms with their feelings, they tried so desperately to hide from each other, only to be interrupted by a goddamn fifth dimensional being. But ultimately the boat stopped fighting the tide, and things started going their way. Until interruptions—many interruptions— came and challenged their fate. Her adopted father which she presumed was dead for years. A lie that was kept secret which ultimately lead to them breaking up. His mother, whom she didn't even wanna think of. His entire damn planet. A stupid lead allergy...and his wife.

A wave of hurt would hit her chest whenever she thought about it...well used to think about it at least. She hasn't really thought about that—or rather yet let herself think about to that, since they parted ways a second time.

It hurt too much to picture him laying in someone else's arms. It hurt too much to picture him spending his free days pressed against someone else while watching a movie. It hurt too much to imagine a world where she wasn't the women he loved. It hurt too much to even think about him.

So she simply stopped.

Her friends and family caught on quickly with her act. They stopped mentioning him. And bringing him up. Even Brainy was careful not to bring up anything about him. And she'd like to say it felt like he almost never existed, but sadly for her she can't erase memories. She couldn't erase his harmonious laugh that easily became her favorite sound even before they started dating. His captivating grey eyes, which could hold so many emotions all at once. His mesmerizing touch which she'd always shattered (only to become whole again)under. His insanely gorgeous smile that could lift her spirits in a matter of seconds. His voice, which used to lull her to sleep in the best of ways.

Oh how she wished she could erase all that. But she can't —well she actually could with the help of J'onn, but yet again, she just can't, although the reminders of him drive her insane, they also hold her together during her darkest times. And she hated it. How he was that one person that could tear her apart and put her back together in the blink of an eye. It seemed cruel- that love can do that to anyone.