Failed Mission

They'd started to be on good terms...but only for a little while because three days after that lovely night at the bar she had a dream— a really vivid dream. She had kissed him, it felt good and real and all too perfect. But it was out of her reach now...she had to let him go, but she couldn't do that with him and her attempting to be friends, she knew it. She knew they could never rekindle what had slipped away from them, but how to tell him? Kara didn't know so she pushed him away again. She didn't want to— it hurt her to, but she didn't know how to stop. Honestly she didn't think it was even a good idea to stop for his sake.

Mon-El growing more observant over the decades, noticed how they quickly ran back into their dry dynamic after a couple of days and well he didn't want to bother her so he let it be. Gave her space, made it easier. But just for her because for him— it hurt. But he'd deal with it if it meant she wouldn't have to hurt too.

Today was rather busy, no one was able to sit long enough to catch their breath before going back out there and protecting the city from whatever dismay. Kara had only caught glimpses of everyone throughout the day, it's probably six a-clock right now but she hasn't seen Brainy, Alex or J'onn since lunch. Nia was probably at Catco finishing up her final report for Andrea. She and William had been working on it for about a week and a half now and to say they're ecstatic about it is a understatement.

She didn't have work today which was nice considering the fact that she wouldn't have to make excuses for her absences and considering today she would've had a-lot of them. But it's easier now, having a team and everything, it shares a weight of responsibility which is nice, really nice.

Just getting back from another mission Kara made sure to stay on the balcony just to be able to hear anything from a larger scale and to enjoy the view of course. It was always so pretty at this time of day, the skies starting to go orange and the suns getting low. The winds soft and lifting the ends of her hair and the bottom of her cape. It was peaceful considering how busy everything was down there.

"You just get back?" His voice made her shudder on the inside, and her limbs go tight for just a second. He had such a low smooth register, and it was beautiful.

"Mhm." Kara hummed with a light sigh before turning just her head to look at him. He was all suited up, the wind gently blowing on his hair and cape exactly like it was doing to her, he looked enchanting,

gorgeous.

"It's been a busy day." He grinned softly, holding his fingers together against his stomach. He didn't move closer to her which strangely was a-bit of a relief and a sadness for her.

"It has been yeah. Can't seem to stay in the same spot for more then a minute or two." Nodding in agreement to her words his eyes drifted to the sunset, and even from where she was standing she could see it reflecting in his eyes. It was a stupidly glorious combination she thought to herself. Unknowingly she smiled a little in that moment, watching him before staring back into the open world. "Did you miss it? The sunsets here? I bet you've probably seen a-lot more uh...eye catching sights but I can't help asking if you've missed this."

"More than anything." Mon-El wasn't talking about the view but rather watching it with her but, she didn't have to know that.

There they stood gazing at the sky, at the setting sun, and the scattered clouds above them. They could touch those clouds if they wanted too but watching was good enough. It's rare to feel a peace so good that it feels everlasting, especially with lives like theirs but oh they felt it right now. But peace can get interrupted faster then you want it to.

Another mission.

They took off at the same time. Her in the lead, him not too far behind.

                                        •