Chapter 21

Paris, 1994

The Paris sun is unrelenting. Beth shades her eyes, longingly picturing her sunglasses on the nightstand in her hotel room. Without a word, Benny takes off his and holds them out. He tilts his face up toward the blue sky, one eye squinted shut.

"I'm glad they had the tournament in the summer this time," he says. "It always felt a bit like a lost opportunity to come here in winter."

Beth smiles slightly at her husband as she puts on his sunglasses. The frames are too large for her face, but they get the job done. She can see again, which is a welcome addition to the afternoon. They walk through the Champs-Elysees Jardin, Beth's arm linked with his for balance that she doesn't need. She just likes being close to him. She always has.

They don't talk much as they walk. It's the quiet before the storm. Tomorrow, Beth competes for another world champion title. She had won it before. And lost it. The children were younger then, and while chess had always held a significant place in Beth's priorities, at that time, it wasn't at the top. But now the children have grown. Alma is already out of the house, and in a few years, Christopher will follow her. Like many parents facing the proverbial empty nest, Beth turned inward to find herself again. And for her, that had always only led to one place. She started playing again at various opens around the country, using the trips as opportunities for family vacations, and then she received her invitation to Paris.

Benny pulls them to a stop in front of a fountain. Beside it, there are tables filled with people. Some are reading or listening to music on their Walkman. Others are in groups. Twenty years ago, it would have been filled with chess boards. Beth tells Benny that, and he points at a table in the back corner.

"I think I beat you at that table."
"Really. I don't remember that."

They walk on, hands clasped easily between them, and she asks, "Does it bother you that you're not playing this year?"

He shakes his head. "It's not my time."

There isn't any trace of bitterness in his voice, and she knows he means it. Over the years, there had been times when he didn't. Just as there had been times she resented him under the weight of what felt like endless maternal responsibility. But, they pushed through.

"So, what do you want for dinner tonight?"

"Somewhere with a nice steak."

"I think we can manage that."

They eat at a café along the river and when Benny spots Borgov and his wife a few tables down, says, "I'm surprised he's here. He's practically a dinosaur."

"The younger players are probably saying that about me. Did you hear about the fifteen-year-old from Chicago?"

"You don't look a day over 35."

"That's sweet. And also a lie."

Benny leans back in his chair. "What's that thing my mom always says? To grow older is God's greatest gift?"

"Your mom said a lot of stupid things." Beth catches Borgov's glance and he stands up and makes his way to the table. Beth quickly says, "He's coming this way. No dinosaur comments."

"What, was I raised by wolves?"

Beth shoots him a glance, to which he just shrugs. After a second, Borgov is next to the table, looking just as reserved and mildly uncomfortable as Beth remembered.