eyes locked

It's fan sign day. BTS members are always excited to attend the fan sign because actually spending time face to face with ARMY, their fans, is a shot of adrenaline, an ego boost, and confirmation that what they work so hard doing is important to someone.  All of the members appreciate the gifts and the interactions. It's like a fuel, a drug to the bloodstream, and it's always great to pump themselves up before a performance.

Today's fan sign takes place in a new city, and it's the day before the first concert at a new stadium, sold out. The tour has been going well, and they're midway through, getting over their first show hiccups and not yet at the point in the tour where they feel exhausted and spent.  Yoongi is in rare form, feeling energized every night by the adoration from the crowd, and he feels at the top of his game. He spends his nights after the concert writing new music, new lyrics, he's full of ideas and in a rush to get it out of him. The schedule can be grueling, and he hasn't been sleeping much but he feels it's worth it, and the fans show him just how worth it it is every night. 

This fan sign is in the ballroom of a fancy hotel, not their own hotel, that wouldn't be wise to stay at the same place they are inviting hundreds of their fans, but a nice hotel all the same. They've been given a room to change and rest as they wait for the event. The room is full of food, gifts and drinks on offer. Yoongi looks over the selection of drinks as the others stare at their phones, waiting to be called down to the ballroom. He picks up a Soju, a fruity flavor he hasn't tried before and he unscrews the cap and takes a big swig of the syrupy liquor straight from the bottle. The liquor warms his stomach as it hits it. He turns and looks at the others, still unaware, and he takes a second drink off the bottle before setting it aside. He wipes his lips dry with the back of his hand, leaving the sweet flavor of the Soju on his skin.  His head drops back, and his eyes close as he feels the liquor start to take it's effect, spreading from his stomach out through his arms and legs, warming the blood in his veins. He smiles, eyes closed tightly.

He doesn't need liquor, not to perform, not to meet ARMY, not to feel good, but today he wants the dizzy happiness. He's been feeling a little lonely, missing actual physical contact from someone other than the other members, and this warmth rising up within him is a good temporary substitute. He hears someone come in the door to the room behind him and call them to action. It's 'showtime'. The members get up and start to move toward the hotel room door to be ushered into the fan sign event. He grabs the bottle and takes one more big drink down, before setting it on the table and following after the others.

The ballroom is already filled with fans who have been waiting for hours in a line outside before they were allowed into the room.  The members are brought around through the rear entry that the cleaning and kitchen staff use to access the space. They wait behind a heavy curtain to be announced. The members look to each other as they listen to the person over the microphone hyping the crowd. They can hear a cacophony of high pitched voices shouting and crying out from behind the curtain, responding to the calls. They smile at each other, ready for the onslaught of sound they will encounter as soon as they are introduced.

The moment comes and Yoongi follows after the others, in a line, as they move the curtain aside and step into the ballroom, camera flashes blinding them momentarily, screams deafening them as they are lead to the long tables, draped with a cloth at the front of the room on a little stage. They each take their seats, next to each other, facing the crowd.  Once he sits down, he takes a quick glance up at the mass of people in front of him, separated by the roped off path, and the staff, but moving in a chaotic mass from behind the lights glaring at him.  He squints against the bright lights and tries to see into the crowd. Waiting to see what he's in for. 

The first group of fans, in line toward the front are ushered closer and he takes the moment the first one steps up in front of the first member, to try to see further into the crowd. He can usually tell who is here specifically to see him, something in the way they meet his glance, and lock onto him, almost predatory in their stare. It's a little electrifying, thinking someone you don't even know is watching you, feeling a hunger for you, aching for your eyes to find them.  He sometimes enjoys the feeling of meeting their stare, and holding it a little longer than they expect, maybe looking them over, up and down, raising an eyebrow suggestively. The whimpers and the cries of the girls reaction, fills him with a sort of satisfaction before he casually looks away as if it was all an innocent coincidence, but the excitement, the blood rushing from his head, to other parts of his body, allowing him to feel the thrill of being wanted, of being hunted, fuels him on. He smiles at himself thinking about how much fun it is to toy, just a little, harmlessly, with the hearts open to him, eager for his attention. There is a sort of power in it that's almost addictive.

As the first fans begin to make their way down the line, the company staff keep time to be sure that each girl spends no more than 30 seconds in front of, or interacting with, each member.  This is the only way to make this experience meaningful for so many people, but also it prevents the members from having any really awkward encounters with the fans. And no one person gets more time than anyone else before they are each ushered on toward the next member, so there can be no hint of impropriety. It's all carefully arranged. Each member takes their 30 seconds with each person and smiles and signs books and takes offerings and listens and speaks, to help the person standing across from them feel they've made a connection.  It's a weird experience, certainly. When he was an underground rapper in Daegu he could only dream of thousands of people desperate to stand in front of him for 30 seconds and grasp any bit of connection they could get, let alone millions who wished they could.  He smiles to himself as the first fans come toward him, beginning the fan sign for him. He can feel the Soju still warming his belly, and making him feel more relaxed and perhaps a little braver.

He's sat next to Jungkook, with Jimin on the other side, and they both sit nervously waiting to see how to connect with each person, but Yoongi sits back in his chair confidently, feeling like he doesn't have to try too hard to get people to enjoy being with him. As young women pass by, girl after girl, he smiles, he laughs, he signs books, he looks at gifts, he listens, he smiles again, repeat. He's comfortable. He turns and looks over at Jungkook, as he waits for the next girl to come toward him and it's as if a lightning bolt has hit his body.

The girl standing in front of Jungkook is probably the most beautiful girl he's ever seen, and he's seen a lot of girls. She stands across from the Maknae, smiling warmly, and pointing out a place where she wants her book signed. He looks over the curve of her back, her tight skirt hugging the curve of her bottom as she leans toward Jungkook. Her long dark hair falling forward, brushing against the table top.  Her lashes drop and her full lips curve to smile coyly at Jungkook. He turns to look at the younger man, feeling an instant shot of anger and jealousy at the attention she is paying to him. He frowns a little as he looks at his face, and recognizes that he's grown shy at the sight of her beauty.  He can hear her voice, soft and low, as she speaks to him, and he knows whatever she said moments before he looked over has made Jungkook's skin flush red with embarrassment.

She nods to him and he nods back in a secret moment of connection that makes Yoongi feel angry at being left out.  She bows to Jungkook and then her eyes turn toward him.  As she looks at him, he feels a sudden jolt of electricity surge through him. He narrows his eyes as he looks at her, hesitating. Her lean body turned towards him but not advancing any closer. Her eyes lit up with a fire he recognizes and it makes him crave contact with her.

"Come here, Little One." He raises one finger and motions for her to draw near.