Chapter 5

The following month, Jiang Cheng goes to attend a Conference Meeting at Carp Tower to discuss how the rest of the Wen civilians would be dealt with. The Yao and Ouyang sects are quick to call for their executions to make them pay for the atrocities they inflicted upon them and the major sects.

"The innocent shouldn't be harmed," Zewu-jun insists.

"Zewu-jun, with all due respect, the Wens also slaughtered innocents without mercy," Sect Leader Yao objects. A few murmurs of agreements go through the hall. Jiang Cheng exchanges a brief glance with Jin ZiXuan from a few tables over.

"Does that mean we need to sink to their level?" Jiang Cheng speaks out, his voice dangerously calm. He had to speak carefully when mentioning Wen Qing and Wen Ning. One mishap of words could lead to the other sects suspecting him of harboring war criminals. And he knew that Lotus Pier could not afford the consequences.

"Sect Leader Jiang, what do you mean?" Sect Leader Ouyang speaks up loudly. "How can our actions possibly be compared to what the Wens did?"

"I believe what Sect Leader Jiang means," Jin ZiXuan speaks, his voice ringing out. "Is that we should not condemn innocents for the crimes that others committed. Would you blame a child for the crime of its parents?" Jiang Cheng lets out the tension from his chest. It seems Jin ZiXuan kept his word after all. And he speaks with much integrity. It reminded him of how Jin ZiXuan had defended MianMian against Wen Chao. Like Wei WuXian, he too had been surprised at Jin ZiXuan's bravery. Not bad for a peacock. He could almost hear Wei WuXian's voice whispering in his ear.

"Remembering the conversation we had with Zewu-jun last time, I believe we agreed on sparing the eldery, women and young and keeping an eye on them. We should pick out the cultivators who took part in the killing and have those executed while non cultivators will be spared," Nie Mingjue adds. "I am sure that can be arranged soon," Jin Guangshan rumbles. "I have let my nephew put the Wens in a temporary camp at Qiongqi Path where they are being detained by Jin disciples. But I still do not see how it is necessary for trials. The Wens lacked morality and attacked for reasons of arrogance and power. They never showed mercy to us, did they?"

"Either way, we can't execute all of them. What about the eldery and children who did not participate in the war?" The voice was a female's and Jiang Cheng could see that MianMian had spoken up from across the room. Her voice shakes but is filled with determination.

"I do not want to see children slaughtered. It's...against our sect's morals!" Jiang Cheng turns his head in shock. Nie Huaisang? Speaking up? He never spoke at all at Conference Meetings.

"Huaisang," Nie Mingjue begins, his voice hardening.

"Am I wrong, Da-ge?" Nie Huaisang lifts his head.

"They should be given a chance to redeem themselves. I know and have met Wens who have helped us during the Sunshot Campaign. They took great risks to go behind Wen Ruohan's back," Jiang Cheng adds.

"Da-ge, tell everyone about who helped you when you got captured by Wen Ruohan. Go on," Huiasang nudges his brother's arms.

"Quiet!" Nie Mingjue snaps but he sighs and speaks again.

"I remember a young maiden when I got captured. She helped to treat my injuries," Nie Mingjue says.

Wen Qing. Jiang Cheng thinks.

"A 'Wen' helped you?" Jin ZiXun scorns in disbelief.

"They helped us as well," Jin ZiXuan admits, shooting his cousin a look. "A young lady who knew medicine and her brother." He then looks over at Jiang Cheng.