Chapter 17

Trigger warning for implied sexual assault later in the chapter

"Stop fidgeting or I'll paralyze you with needles," Jiang Cheng says impatiently. He circles his brother with the measuring tape.

"Since when did you use needles?" Wei Wuxian gives him an astonished look.

"Wen Qing gave me some. In case I need to threaten you when she's not around." Wei Wuxian gives him a look of outrage.

"You both are so mean," Wei Wuxian grumbles. "Why is my didi bullying me?"

"Who's your 'didi?" Jiang Cheng rolls his eyes. "Seriously, stop moving! Do you want a wedding robe or not? Usually A-Qing would be the one to do this, but she's visiting A-jie and Lady Luo."

"I wish we could have gone with them," Wei Wuxian says longingly.

"We already stayed at Cloud Recesses for a couple of days. We should stay at Lotus Pier now, manage sect affairs," Jiang Cheng says briskly. "And you have to do your meditation and breathing exercises.

The second he stops moving, Khan immediately flies over and lands on his head. Jiang Cheng snickers while Wei Wuxian makes a look of annoyance, unable to swipe the bird off.

"Shoo. Don't bother us," Jiang Cheng waves his hand at the bird who calmly ignores him and starts playing with Wei Wuxian's hair with his beak. The bird stares at him with its beady eyes then finally flies off.

"Out of all the pets you get, it just had to be a bird," Jiang Cheng grumbles. He finishes writing down the measurements of Wei Wuxian's proportions.

"Do you want a pet too?"

"Like what? One of your Lan bunnies?"

"Definitely not. Those bunnies belong together. We can't separate them. Remember what Shijie said?"

"Yes," Jiang Cheng's voice softens. "Family should stay together, but...you're going to marry Lan Wangji in Gusu and A-jie's already in Carp Tower."

"We're not that far away. We'll visit, obviously! And you have Wen Qing and Wen Ning."

"Of course. If I hadn't...protected and married her, Lotus Pier wouldn't be as full as it was once before."

"I don't think that's true," Wei Wuxian says, turning around to face him. "You'd have been able to rebuild the sect no matter what. I've always believed that you'd be an amazing sect leader! Shijie did too."

It was true. His parents may not have had confidence in his abilities but his siblings did. They had always encouraged him and when his parents were still alive and their words had given him solace; they still did now.

~

With just him and Wei Wuxian managing sect affairs, both of them had a lot more on their hands. Wen Ning continued to lead the archery lessons and the rest of the Wens helped with chores around the kitchen and the entirety of Lotus Pier.

"Jiang Cheng, Jiang Cheng! Have you tried Uncle Four's wine?" Wei wuxian bursts into his office without knocking and Jiang Cheng gives him a glare of annoyance at being interrupted.
"Of course I have!" Jiang Cheng retorts. "How long has it been since they moved in? He's been in our wine brewery ever since. And selling them on the docks."

"No no, it's a new wine, of course!" Wei Wuxian exclaims. " He always lets me sample them for free." Jiang Cheng rolls his eyes.

"I don't have the luxury to drink all the time unlike you."