Chapter 8

"That reminds me...I think we're going to have another visitor today," Wei Wuxian tells him.

"Oh, and who might that be?"

"Wei-Xiong! Jiang-xiong!" A familiar voice yells out across the courtyard.

"Nie Huaisang?" Jiang Cheng blinks as their old friend comes running towards them.

"Oh, my apologies," Nie Huaisang says sheepishly with a bow. "I should be calling you Sect leader Jiang now. Time really flies, doesn't it?"

"Drop the formalities if you want to when we're alone." Jiang Cheng shrugs. He was a sect leader and desired to be respected as such but sometimes, he just wanted to let go and feel like he did during those carefree days again.

"What brings you to Lotus Pier, Nie-xiong?"

"Uh well...I'm running from my brother."

Jiang Cheng raises an eyebrow.

"You what?"

"Da-ge is trying to get me to do saber practice again and I got sick of it so I ran and escaped here."

Jiang Cheng sighs and pinches the bridge of the nose with his fingers. He already had to deal with enough things today without having Sect leader Nie storming into Lotus Pier to drag his younger brother away.

"Fan-gege!" Nie Huaisang jumps, looking startled at the sudden appearance of Wen Yuan at his ankle.

"A-Yuan, hugging people again, aren't you?" Wei Wuxian sighs and reaches to pick up the child, but he hides behind Huaisang.

"Wei-Xiong, this child was really rescued from the..the camps?" He looks stunned. "My da-ge met him

"Well...," Wei Wuxian smirks. "What if I told you I gave birth-ouch!" he pouts in disbelief when Jiang Cheng hits him on the head.

"Quit telling everyone you gave birth to him. You'll make our sect lose face!"

"But it's the truth. I grew him out from the lotus pond," Wei Wuxian grins. A-Yuan giggles in response. Nie Huaisang bends down to smile at the child.

"You're adorable. I can't believe people believe all Wens are evil. Just look at him," Nie Huaisang tucks his fan under his arm and lifts A-Yuan up who squeals with delight.

"I didn't know you were good with children." Jiang Cheng watches them, looking faintly amused.
"Well..I don't think I'll ever have children of my own but I remember having to kidsit some disciples one time," Nie Huaisang replies, tickling A-Yuan's chin before putting him down.

"Here, you can have this," He hands over the fan in his hands and the child takes it with delight before running away.

"I'm great with kids, unexpectedly," Wei Wuxian tells Huaisang as he wraps one arm around the other's shoulders.

"Says the one who planted said child into a lotus pond." Jiang Cheng rolls his eyes. "And then Wen Qing had to spend hours cleaning the mud from his clothes."

"Actually, she made me do that," Wei Wuxian laughs.

"Come inside and sit. Let's not stand in the courtyard to do our talking," Jiang Cheng says briskly and leads them inside the Sword Hall. As they sit, several disciples come to bring them tea and a tray of snacks.

"By the way, I want to ask you a question on behalf of my brother while I'm here. And I want to have an answer too. As a friend." Wei Wuxian tilts his head and looks at Jiang Cheng with a confused look who only looks at Huaisang expectedly. What could Nie Mingjue possibly want to ask his brother?
"He's been asking about the amulet," Huaisang begins. Jiang Cheng can already see his brother's eyes narrowing and pulling away from Huaisang. The other notices and hurriedly continues.