Chapter 12

Wei Wuxian goes further into the details, explaining how he and Lan Zhan tried to explore the entrance of the tomb. Jiang Cheng is aware that Nie Huaisang's fanning pace has been consistently increasing the more Wei Wuxian speaks.

"We thought the energy signal was only coming from corpses, but there was another energy signal. One that was similar to what I feel coming from sabers like Baxia."

"Saber spirits," Nie Huaisang murmurs so softly that barely anyone could hear.

"Huh?" Wei Wuxian blinks at him.

"I-I shouldn't say. You should ask my da-ge yourself," Huisang says hurriedly.

"We've stumbled upon some sect secret, haven't we?" Wei Wuxian sighs.

"It isn't what you think it is," Nie Huaisang says hastily, looking carefully at both Twin Jades as he speaks.

"I am sure there is a reason behind it," Lan Xichen replies calmly. "We'll either wait until he is well enough to tell us or come back another day.

"Is there a reason for us to know?" Wei Wuxian says slowly, stroking the raven that had come to land on his shoulders.

"If it is private sect affairs, we shouldn't interfere," he continues.

"It's not just about that. We should still find the source of resentful energy. It could be dangerous," Jiang Cheng says.

"I can assure you that it isn't demonic cultivation," A loud voice interrupts them.

"Da-ge!" Nie Huaisang and Lan Xichen hurry over to Nie Mingjue who was walking with Wen Qing supporting him at his side.

"It is our Ancestral Hall," Nie Mingjue tells them.

"If you need help with dealing with the resentful energy there...then I can do it," Wei Wuxian says.

"Wei Ying," Lan Wangji says sharply. Glancing at him, Jiang Cheng can see worry on Lan Wangji's face.

"It isn't safe. You don't know how much you're being exposed to," Jiang Cheng cuts in.

"I've been exposed to enough in the past," Wei Wuxian answers flatly and Jiang Cheng's gaze flickers to the ground at the reminder.

"If the resentful energy isn't enough to kill, the saber spirits are," Nie Mingjue interjects. "How would you fight them?"

"I can think of something. I can have one or two people keeping them at bay while I clean the resentful energy."

"I'll go." Jiang Cheng and Lan Wangji say at the same time. They look at one another, then quickly look back at Wei Wuxian.

"And one more issue, are you planning to place this energy inside the amulet?" Nie Mingjue asks. Jiang Cheng notices Wei Wuxian looking at him before replying.

"It's the only object that can hold the resentful energy, so yes."

"What exactly will this do? I am confused," Jiang Cheng says. Nie Mingjue looks around before speaking.

"We both know the Nie leaders channel the resentful energy of beasts and other creatures," Wei Wuxian says. "And that this has led past sect leaders to have qi deviation and some have died. Forgive me if I am being insolent with my words but...is it really a coincidence?"

Everyone turned to look at Nie Mingjue who for once, looked lost for words.

"I prefer not to say it here," he says after a long pause. "I can't fill you in on too many details, but I'm going to tell Wei Wuxian and Hanguang-jun only as they were the ones who walked it on the...secret."