CHAPTER 6: TELL ME WHY

The second Malach saw the teetering bookshelf, fear of his own blossomed in his chest. He didn't have a moment to think. He practically flew to Xavion and stood in front of him where the bookshelf was. Xavion gripped the back of the angel's shirt out of instinct as he hid behind him. He himself didn't have time to think, clinging to Malach despite his usual nature.

In the blink of an eye, water flooded from Malach's palms. His arms were raised above his head as his incredible powers worked their magic. The strong force instantly shoved the shelf back into place while extinguishing the nearby flames. His fear caused him to spray much more water than necessary, filling the room with it up to their knees.

Eventually, Malach's shaky hands slowly lowered until they were level with his chest. Then he noticed the tight grip Xavion had on his shirt. He could feel the slight tug when he moved to turn. The demon let go in an instant, realizing the danger was gone—at least that part of it was.

"Are you okay?" Malach asked in a soft, concerned voice as he grasped both of Xav's shoulders gently. His fingertips curved inward and caused the demon to take a step closer.

Xavion was still in a daze as he nodded warily. The angel gave him a lopsided smile, getting distracted as he stared at his disheveled appearance.

"I don't know if now is the best time for you guys to flirt—"

"We are not flirting!" Xavion shouted at Cyfrin, yanking himself away from Malach's touch.

"I don't know man. That was kinda sus to me," Cyfrin sung cheekily.

Xavion slapped the side of his head, causing the other demon to yelp in pain. "Don't think I won't leave you here! I'll do it!" he threatened, knowing Cyfrin was still too weak to walk on his own.

Malach snickered at the fearful look on Cyfrin's face. "Come on, now isn't the time to argue," he mediated. "Let's get you guys out of here."

"Thanks, but no thanks. I've got it from here." Xavion tugged Cyfrin through the doorway and away from Malach.

The angel scoffed, following right behind them. "What? You're still mad at me?"

Xavion ignored him as he guided Cyfrin down the stairs. They had to move extra slowly because of the water making the steps slippery. Malach sighed, using his powers to float over them. He stayed in the air in front of them as he stared at the demon expectantly, awaiting an answer.

This pissed Xavion off even more. "I'm not just mad at you, I can't fucking stand you."

Instead of getting angry or upset like Xav thought Malach would, the asshole grinned.

"What the hell are you smiling about?" Xavion stopped in his tracks to glare at Mal, wishing he could wipe the cocky grin off his lips.

"Because you don't mean that," the angel simply answered as he lowered himself back onto the ground, a single step below Xav. "I know you don't."

Xavion blinked, wondering how on earth Malach could've come to that conclusion. It was the truth. He despised Malach for doing everything he couldn't with ease. It damaged his ego, made him feel worthless, caused Lucifer to be disappointed in him, and humiliated him time after time.

He looked down at the determination on Malach's face and how sure of himself he seemed. "You really believe that, don't you?" he mused.

"I do," the angel said with a firm nod.

Xavion laughed, placing a hand on Malach's chest. Malach's smile widened for a split second before the demon shoved him backwards.

"Hell, Zisa isn't going to believe how much you two are flirting today," Cyfrin said in awe as Malach used his powers to catch himself before he could hit the ground.