L- Word

It was a blur. 

A total blur as Melina handed in Louis’ check from the record label and the band of exactly twenty thousand dollars to the American Cancer Association.  Her exact bail.  In exchange, both she and Louis had been given hugs and  giant stickers for their generous donation and hard work for going above and beyond.

“Twenty thousand.” Melina muttered as she got into the elevator. Louis had exactly twenty thousand on the check.  It was all planned! Him and Eva! Not even coincidence was that exact.  She was so lost in thought she actually missed Louis taking her hand.  It was only the click of metal that finally got her attention. 

“Now you have no choice but to face me,”

Melina’s jaw dropped as Louis held up his single cuffed hand, her own cuffed hand raising as it was now attached to his. 

~~~

“This is unbelievable.” Melina said as she finally got her bearings together.  Wasn't this a bit much! Louis and Eva... did they have nothing else in their lives to preoccupy themselves than to mess with her life? Then again, both did have the patience of four year olds on Christmas eve.

“You’re unbelievable!” Louis countered as he got into the taxi, Melina having no choice, literally, but to follow him.  “Everything we’ve been through and then the holidays and you give me the arctic shoulder.  What the hell Melina Hanas!”

Melina cringed.  “I,” She began but failed to say anymore.  “Sorry,” She licked her lips nervously.

Louis said nothing as the taxi drove off. 

Melina glanced sideways at Louis.  Then she looked down at her still cuffed hand.  “Louis,” She said softly. 

Closing his eyes briefly, Louis pursed his lips, yet he still said nothing.

“Louis, you can’t-”

“Can you turn the radio up?” Louis asked the driver, still ignoring Melina. 

“Um, ye, yeah.” The driver said looking at them in the rearview mirror before doing just so.

“Louis!” Melina exclaimed. 

“A little louder please!” Louis kept at it. 

“Lou-” she was cut off as Louis still asked for louder till she could barely hear herself.  “Fine!” She huffed at last.

For the remaining trip, neither said a word though both were very aware of each other.  Louis resisted the urge to just explode right then and there with much effort.  Melina scooted over to the other side of the taxi and leaned her head against the window as the radio blasted in the engulfing space between them.

~~~

While waiting for Louis to pay the taxi Melina was able to look around.  She ran her fingers through her hair as she realized that they were close to her house.  

“Come on,” Louis said gruffly as he grabbed her hand to move her. 

“No!” Melina yelled as she yanked her hand back.  “Not until you tell me what’s going on! You and Eva!” Melina accused. 

“You don’t deserve to know!” Louis scowled back at her before yanking her towards him, only to have Melina do her best to stand her ground. 

“Stubborn,” Louis huffed as he used his cuffed hand this time to pull her closer. 

“Omfph.” Melina groaned before finding herself flush against Louis.  Glancing up, she gulped as Louis’ piecing sapphire eyes bared down at her.