Chapter 9

Jarak could feel the stares of his fellow hunters on him as he walked down the palace's corridors. Curiosity rumbled through the hallways like a minor quake. Somehow word had gotten out that he had brought back a human. Three years ago, Ojibwe had an infertility problem, female births were low amongst the yautja forcing some to seek mates in humans. Finding a human and genetically modifying her, a yautja could propagate a halfling female child who would in turn mate with a full blooded yautja in her future, producing a full blooded yautja. When the plan for human mating had been announced Jarak had expressed his displeasure openly. Humans were weak and dishonorable creatures, he vowed he would never take part in their human-mating system no matter the cost.

Fortunately, there was no need.

A cure to the genetic disorder was eventually discovered after Rakkah had brought home his human mate. Yautja were now siring male and female yautja once more, making the human-mating endeavor no longer a sacrifice to be taken for the good of the clan, but an option if desired. But now as Jarak walked down to the lower levels towards the living quarters, he could feel the speculation of his brethren circulate amongst them, rumors of him taking a human mate.

These rumors did not sit well with him. He wanted to turn and challenge them all, to prove once again he was superior to all of them and that rutting was the farthest thing from his mind, but he did not. He knew nothing would come from the combat, the rumors would still persist until they saw the woman, he brought for themselves.

Stopping at his door, Jarak pressed his hand against the control screen activating the door. Sliding open with a swoosh, Jarak stared across the narrow room down the barrel of the gun pointing directly at him. Sitting cross legged and naked, Justice held the infant with one arm to her bare left breast while her right hand aimed the heavy rifle steadily at him. Jarak did not move as her bright cybernetic eyes stared back him. Giving him a subtle raise of her brow, acknowledging him, she lowered the gun.

Jarak did not move. Rooted to the spot, he stood out in the hall staring through the open door at the woman on his bed. With her hair unbound from her many braids, her long black hair laid in wet waves around her naked form as she fed her child. Jarak could see hints of the dark hair at the juncture of her crossed legs and his mind pictured her human cunt hiding beneath. On the whole, her nude state was a disconcerting sight.

Footsteps to his right sent a frisson of savage energy through him at once. Turning to face the intrusion, Jarak slapped his hand on the door's sensor, closing it shut with a heavy swoosh. Bright red eyes of a younger hunter, Bor, blinked in surprise at the sudden lethal energy coming from Jarak and stopped.

Not giving him time to react, Jarak grabbed the younger hunter's chest armor and pulled him close until he could feel the youngblood's breath against his skin and gave him a menacing growl. "Turn around and take another hall," he ordered before thrusting the hunter backward with a mighty shove.

Ignoring the younger hunter's angry roar in reply. Jarak turned back to his door and quickly stepped inside. Not looking at the woman, he stopped in the empty space of his room. He could see her dressing from the corner of his eye and he wondered at his sudden urge to look upon her again. Jarak ignored the urge.

The sound of her jacket being fastened brought his attention back to her. Flipping her damp hair from underneath her collar she sat back down on the edge of his bed and grabbed a section of her dark hair in her hands. Next to her, the child was lying on her stomach looking around the room as she clutched a soft toy in her hand.

"So where did you end up sleeping? In a tree? On your ship?" Justice spoke. With deft movements her fingers began to part and braid her hair from the root to the tip.