Chapter 13

Getting off of her bike, Justice pulled Larsa from her harness and cast a commanding look to Ember. Obediently and a little worriedly Ember quickly stepped forward and took Larsa from her hands.

Seeing her foreboding expression, Ahzma stood up from her seat against the dead tree they all sometimes used as a bench and gave Justice a questioning look. "What's wrong?"

Looking around the small clearing in front of Koga's kennels, Justice looked from the three little girls to Koga, who was also staring at her with keen interest.

"I need to speak to Rakkah later today," she announced, her anger from last night still pumping hot through her veins. "I need to get out of the goddamn house with Jarak."

No one said anything. Only the girls who played with their pups near Koga's feet went on happily unaware of the simmering tension shared by the adults.

"What happened?" Ember questioned softly from behind her.

Unable to look at any of them, Justice began to pace. She wanted to hit something, she was so fucking mad. Last night she hardly slept, she just sat up in her bed waiting to hear if Jarak came back determined to shoot him in the head on sight.

"What happened was Jarak tried to kill me for no fucking reason," she growled. Her pride still hurt from the betrayal of it all.

Ignoring the two women's shocked gasps Justice increased her pacing. Sounds of growls and whines from the older hounds from behind their cages echoed throughout the clearing most likely agitated at her obvious tension.

"Has he harmed you or the child?" Koga's deep steady voice broke in through her thoughts and Justice stopped giving him a cold look.

"Do you really think we would be having this kind of conversation if that big bastard tried to hurt Larsa?" she spat, not waiting for him to answer. "Besides he didn't take that kind of leave of his senses, he was just angry at me for whatever fucking reason."

Nodding, Koga dropped the squirming pup he had been holding by the back of his neck and turned to walk out of the clearing before stopping. "I will speak to Rakkah," he paused and gave her and all the women a fierce warning look before landing on all three girls. Immediately, Okaj and the twins, Noko and Nyla, froze at his look. "I will return. You are not to go near the cages under any circumstance."

Sighing Justice nodded with the rest of them knowing that the blue-eyed hunter would be satisfied with no less. "Yes, yes. No going near the hounds and no going near your killer Kurn you keep trapped in the back," she waved over to the set of black double doors sticking from the ground in the distance. It was the same promise he made her make like a child on the first day she met the serious yautja. Supposedly beyond the regular hound-like beasts he kept there were a breed of monsters even he could not control kept behind the bolted cellar doors. She kept telling herself to look up the information on these Kurn beast, everything Koga had told her about them thus far sounded fascinating, but she never had the time.

Narrowing his eyes at her, Koga finally nodded and left towards the palace.

Sensing Ember and Ahzma's need for more details, Justice raised a hand stopping any question. "Right now, I am too fucking angry. Let me take my mind off of that bastard for a few hours first."

Nodding both women gave her understanding smiles.

Relieved, Justice slapped both hands together and turned to the little girls. "Ok my little darlings," she announced, the tension easing out of her shoulders and her voice. "Let's show Koga how good you are with your pups when he returns."

Turning to the one thing she knew like the back of her hand; she began directing the girls on the commands Koga had been trying to teach them. With their pups at their sides, while their mothers watched from their seat on the tree Justice had all three toddlers repeat the basic drills.