Chapter 23

How much more did she have to fight?

She was so tired. All she wanted to do was live. Live for herself just for once.

Blackness surrounded her. There was no below nor above, just complete void.

Maybe this was living for herself. Maybe she got her wish. Maybe without her sisters and without Larsa she was nothing.

A beeping sound echoed far off in the void. With every register of its incremental tone it slowed, until the spaces of silence in between the tone was a meaningful sound on its own.

A deep and heavy roar shook the edges of her void world and she felt a kick of energy for the first time.

The beeping suddenly spiked. The sounds coming in back-to-back like a never-ending train.

Anger and excitement threatened at her empty heart banishing the creeping tendrils of hopelessness that had begun to surround her.

With a heavy sigh she watched the void disappear and the light filter in. Would it be another nightmare? Another dream to toy and torture her? Who would she fight this time? Amongst the people she loved, who would she helplessly watch die by her hand this time?

With renewed but albeit tired determination she stepped into the light and took cautious comfort at the familiar rumbling growl that shook her chest. Hoisting up her spear which was now in her hand, Justice did the only thing she could--soldier on.

###

"Justice, wake up."

The cyborg's eyes opened showing off a brilliant empty white. Strapped to the vertical table, she was secured into place with fastenings strong enough to hold a yautja male down.

"Yes sir," She answered, her voice hollow and obedient.

Letting out a frustrated growl, Ravki turned back to his monitor and stared at the data before him in simmering rage.

Bahig walked across the large laboratory from his own work station and stopped next to Ravki. Being one of the main scientists on Ojibwe he was there the day Justice had presented herself to Rakkah and now he was here working to get her back.

"We must go deeper into her core bios. This control, I believe, was always their intent. I believe they created the children with the control first and foremost."

"Going that deep could...alter her...permanently."

"There is that risk, yes."

Ravki turned and stared down at the shorter yautja with cold contempt. He did not hold any value for the human mother, not like Ravki. Bahig would not hold a place of deep regret at the loss of her life.

"No, we will-" Ravki began.

"We will continue to waste time and the human child will go another month without a mother. A critical stage for a human child, no?" Bahig questioned, his yellow eyes taunting.

Flexing his claws with an audible crack, Ravki turned towards the yautja. Satisfaction curled alongside his anger as he watched the scientist's eyes light with alarm.

"There is another way," another voice interrupted.

Turning away from Bahig with a warning look, Ravki turned to see Ero walking from the other side of the massive subterranean laboratory.

"Speak," Ravki commanded. After nearly a month working with the scientists, Ravki's pateince was wearing thin with these two.

"If we can keep her consious we will be able to access the section of cognitive bios we need."