Chapter Eleven: Damon's Story and a Mystical Relic

"And, of course, I broke into the Oval Office and took a picture of myself at the window, looking all – how’d you put it, Meg? All 'JFK', but then I was like 'Wait – how am I going to get these photos developed?' and –"

"Oh my god, just answer the damn question!" Damon snapped, kneading his forehead with two fingers. Meg’s head slipped a bit from the semi-comfortable position she had found, hoping to get some sleep while Kai rambled. "How are we gonna get out of this Twilight Zone?"

"I had a question for you first," Kai pointed out, leaning back in his seat, as if it was perfectly normal to have his wrists tied to the arms. "Why do you think we’re stuck on a repeating loop of May 10th, 1994? Doomed to relive a solar eclipse forever and ever and ever?"

"How the hell should I know?"

"Well, I heard you tell Bonnie this place was your own personal hell. I’m kinda curious why."

Damon was saved answering the prying question by Bonnie suddenly reappearing in the room. "I found everything you asked for: can opener, shower drain, grinding wheel, jam, pocket knife, volume 'O' of the Encyclopaedia, a nail, and a black marker."

The witch emptied it out on the table, and Meg sighed tiredly. "You’ve been played, Bonnie, he doesn’t need all that stuff."

"How do you know?" Kai retorted, looking over his shoulder to address her properly. Meg shook her head, too tired to argue.

"Now what?" Bonnie asked, over the pile of junk.

"Can’t show you with my hands taped." he hinted blatantly.

"Bonnie," Damon warned as the witch bent down to pick up the pocket knife. She paid him no attention, as usual, and went to slice the only thing keeping Kai down.

"Thank you." he grinned, as the tape on his wrists fell away. He flexed his wrists in appreciation, letting out a sigh.

"I’m guessing you want Meg out, too?" she asked sharply, fingering the knife.

"Nah. Just leave her where she is; she’s not important right now." he shrugged, lounging even deeper into his chair.

"Okay," Damon said, staring at Bonnie in disbelief. "Fine. How’s this pile of crap going to get us out of here? Or is Meg right and you’re just messing with us?"

"I’ll explain as soon as you tell me what you did on May 10th, 1994."

"What difference does it make?" the vampire barked.

"Let’s put it this way: Bonnie’s magic is one part of the equation. My, as yet undisclosed knowledge is the other. Which means, you and Meg would be hitching a ride home for free. Meg’s good – she can come. You? I’ve no idea. I just wanna know if you deserve to come along."

Meg felt Damon’s mood swing, even before he darted forwards and snatched the knife out of Bonnie’s hands. Once again, he grabbed Kai by the collar so his feet were off the ground, and held the blade to his throat. "Or, I could just torture you until you say something useful."

Unlike last time a vampire had him by the throat, Kai betrayed no fear. On the contrary, he watched Damon like he’d just miscalculated two plus two. "If you torture me, I’ll get mad, and then I won’t want to help you." he said slowly, turning to Bonnie in confusion, "What kind of person needs to have that explained to them?"

He laughed as the witch plucked the knife from Damon’s hand, hissing, "Play nice."

"Stop trying to impress the new guy." he countered, curling his lip and making Meg laugh. Impress Kai? Not possible.