Chapter Twenty-Seven: A Rose

Maybe it was because she wasn’t locked in a bathroom, contemplating her possible demise, but Meg was handling the flight a lot better than she had last time.

‘Snap!’ she slammed her card against the pile, earning some indignant looks from the people behind her.

Kai’s hand came down on her’s, literally seconds from winning before Meg snatched the victory, and he cursed, ‘You cheat!’

‘Don’t blame me for being awesome at this game,’ she reprimanded, batting his hand away and gathering up the cards.

‘I swear you’re using your magic.’ he shook his head, and his words earned a few more incredulous glances. The others on this plane were obviously wondering if the two were insane. They had no idea.

Meg arched an eyebrow at all the staring passengers, thinking about the last time she’d been on a vehicle with so many people. That hadn’t ended well, and they hadn’t been half as annoying as these ones. Shocking her slightly, she felt her magic flex under her grip for the first time in ages. It was starting to get restless. The entire plane shuddered and she fidgeted, biting her lip.

‘Meg? Earth to Meg?’ Kai waved a hand in front of her face and she blinked, eyes focusing again.

‘What?’ she asked, shaking off the haze.

‘I said, “are you alright”?’

‘Did you? That’s nice of you.’ she tried to regain her composure. She hadn’t felt this disturbed in a while.

He rolled his eyes, and held out his hand. She looked at it, then to him. ‘Are you asking me to hold hands?’

‘God, you’re annoying today.’ he scoffed. ‘C’mon, Meg, I know the signs. Your magic is acting up.’ Cue more confused stares. ‘I’m trying to help.’

‘Funny how helping me also helps you.’ she looked at him cynically, the faint traces of a smile appearing. He looked at her with raised eyebrows, still offering her his hand. Sighing in defeat, she intertwined her fingers with his and felt the minor jab of pain as he started to suck her magic away.

He inhaled sharply again as the power washed over him, still more intense than anything he’d ever felt before. This girl shouldn’t have this. It was just too strong, her head should have exploded by now. But it seemed to have gone down since the last time he’d absorbed it. Just a little, but enough that he could feel the difference.

‘I think your magic’s diluting itself.’ he noted, squeezing her hand.

‘I thought it felt a little weird.’ she pulled a face. ‘Does that mean it’s going to go away?’

‘How should I know?’ he shrugged. ‘Probably for the best. No offense, but that much power should’ve killed you by now. You should have been incinerated.’

‘That’s such a nice thought.’ she said sarcastically.

‘Shut up,’ he said good-naturedly, lolling in his chair and stealing Meg’s cap to cover his eyes. Meg looked down, and saw something she really didn’t expect. She was still holding Kai’s hand.

***

‘Ever worn skinny jeans?’ Kai asked, wriggling around in his seat. Meg massaged the bridge of her nose and looked at her watch beseechingly, begging for time to have passed. Nope; it was only 11.45 AM. Kai would not shut up.

‘Ugh, it seems wrong.’ he continued, wrinkling his nose. ‘All bunched up. Also – why are jeans so tight when phones are so big?’

‘Ignore him.’ Meg told the driver wearily. ‘He’s hyped up on coffee.’