♔CHAPTER SIX♔

"A BIRD WITH THEIR WINGS
CLIPPED IS NO BIRD AT ALL."
»»————-« ⋅ʚ🧡ɞ⋅ »————-««
(Y/N)s POV

As a child, you never seemed to heed other peoples warnings.

If it was from Julie begging you to not stay out late, then it was from the various instances in which you watched outlaws being prosecuted. Call it ignorance— arrogance even, but in the end of the day, whatever you called it, you were far too trusting in your own abilities to consider the possibility of failure. You were the all-calculating Raven after all, you always made sure things went smoothly— So when it finally didn't, it backfired on you hard.

Hard in which you were in government captivity, locked away in the darkest of dungeons where the sound of mice and ticking clocks guided you to sleep every night, and hard in which you hadn't eaten anything but bread for three days. At least you could learn a valuable lesson from this— There is always someone bigger.

...and that you are a cocky, selfish bastard.

The three days you spent in the dungeons were spent gazing out the window of your bedside. It was barred and small, just like everything else in your room. From the chains that were clamped around your wrists, to the tight brick walls that reeked of rust and grime; It was cramped here, and you were getting claustrophobic. Luckily for you, little streaks of sunlight poured from its gaps. They soothed your hatred for the dark room with the blessing of warmth, even if the gesture was bittersweet. You weren't truly able to enjoy a new day when worrying about it being your last.

All was not lost however, for the window also granted you the liberty of listening to the birds sing their hearts away. You joined in with them a lot, whistling in a tune that matched theirs. You liked to think they heard you, perhaps even responded. But you knew that wasn't the case, you were too far away for them to possibly notice. So now you were feeling truly melancholic, and utterly, utterly bored.

When bored, you'd usually hang out with Lilith in the forest. You'd get into all sorts of fun; from swimming in local rivers, to stalking all the wildlife that resided there. Your all-time favourite was running across the lavender fields— there was something about doing so that made you feel so alive, like you were a free bird drifting in the wind. And currently, your body mourned for that freedom again. But your wrists and ankles were cuffed down, connected by a thick metal chain that scraped against the hard stone floor. You were constantly uncomfortable and constantly monitored.

Your eyes drifted towards the corner of your room. Besides your uncomfortable metal bed and the cell door, there were two guards stationed to watch over you. They never left their posts unless switching shifts, which was reasonable until you realised that sleeping with people watching you was difficult— or doing anything really. But they didn't mind your whistling, so you didn't mind them too much.

'I guess the three of us are equally as bored.' You thought with a sigh

But that all changed when you suddenly heard the distant muffling of voices from outside your cell. They approached the door and ceased when beginning to knock. You sat up with anticipation. This was your third day in the dungeons, and you were desperate to get out.

"Permission to take (Y/N) Lixen to room 3A" It was the voice of a male, and who you presumed to be a guard. Did every soldier have the same voice or where you that deep into disassociating? But What really made you flinch was what he called you. It seemed like your title as 'The Raven' was stripped from you.

You looked down at your shackles and sighed.

As well as other things...