Chapter 23

'Cause you can here it in the silence
You can feel it on the way home
You can see it with the lights out
You are in love, true love
You are in love
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once Luka drained any alcohol that he could find, he walked back over to me, "I am still not sure if you should be staying here."

"I can handle myself," I tried everything to sound confident, and I was doing pretty well until he took a step closer to me. My breath got shaky, and- were his eyes always that pretty?

"You're staring," He reminded me, flicking me on the nose.

"Yeah- Sorry. I'll see you tomorrow." I waved him out the door and slid down the wall onto the floor. What was happening to me? Luka was never someone I considered a love interest- It's probably just a phase.

"Who are you?" I readjusted my body, to face my dad, his head barely off the table.

"It's me, your daughter?" I smiled, expecting him to laugh. Instead, his face grew more hostile. 

"Do not lie to me! I would know my own daughter!" I ducked to dodge a chair, and it smacked the wall behind me.

"Stop! Dad, you're drunk," I escaped his grasp, throwing myself outside, my body smashing into the concrete. I scrambled up, my mind racing for where I could go.

Marinette's... Kagami's? No, her mom would never allow it. Luka's... Luka!

--

I stumbled down the dock, tired from running. Before I could knock, the door flew open, "Is everything okay?" Luka looked up from my face, noticing my father tripping along the sidewalk. "Come inside, now." Once we were safely inside, he sat me down on the couch, while positioning himself on the floor in front of me. "What happened?"

"I- I don't know. My dad was just passed out on the table- and when he woke up he didn't recognize me." I burst into tears, struggling to speak. "He thought I broke into my house or something." My hands made their way up to my face, as I buried my face in them. "My life is... Falling apart."

He sat up, crawling into the spot next to me, "Well, you are here with me right now, aren't you? That isn't terrible, right?" His hand reached for my side, having me lean against himself. "You can stay here tonight. We have extra clothes." He got up, heading towards his room. He came back with his guitar. 

"Typically I don't sing for random people, but..."  He began to strum his guitar strings, humming a soft melody. I recognized it immediately. It was the song he was working on for Marinette, his crush. After finding the right tone, he finally opened his mouth to sing the lyrics.

̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶y̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶e̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶'̶s̶ ̶l̶y̶r̶i̶c̶s̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶o̶d̶s̶v̶n̶s̶j̶u̶e̶r̶h̶ ̶

The lyrics weren't about Marinette,

They were about me.