Chapter 58

We sleep most of the day—Ambrose and I do, anyway.

We'd returned with Dane and Julian to their house, and they'd surrendered their bedroom for our use.

I hadn't thought I'd be able to sleep—not with the threats that hung over us—but once we were clean and dry and warm, wrapped in each other's arms between fresh sheets, it felt like nothing could have kept me awake.

When at last consciousness returns, I find Ambrose watching me, the deep red undertones of his hair lit like copper and bronze in the slanted light of the afternoon sun. A line of concern pinches his brows, and eases only slightly when he sees me awake.

"Hello, little wolf," he murmurs, reaching over to smooth a finger between my brows and then to trace the curve of my mouth.

"What are you doing?" I ask, as his light touch tickles my lips.

"Memorizing you," he says, his mahogany eyes flicking up to mine.

"I'm not going anywhere," I say, "and neither are you."

"It doesn't feel that way," he says, releasing a long breath. "It feels like I'm a condemned man; like I've only got so much time to me now, and I want to spend every second of it looking at you."

"Hey." I reach over and brush my fingers through his hair. "What happened to the arrogant, self-assured asshole with all the answers, huh?"

He doesn't smile, and keeps his eyes locked on mine. "He fell in love, and then he learned to fear."

"That's funny," I return softly. "I think love has taught me not to be so afraid."

"You've a good, strong heart," he says, resting his palm on my chest. "I saw that right away."

"You did?" I think back to the night we met. 'Strong' is certainly not how I'd seen myself, then.

He nods.

"I think that might be why I let myself love you, at first. I knew you had the strength to bear it—me, and whatever I am. I could trust myself with you."

"Really? I thought you just enjoyed teasing me."

"Well, it is a delight to make you blush." He smiles, just a little, and the tension in his face relaxes at last.

"I don't 'blush,'" I argue.

"Yes you do," he counters. "Your cheeks go a lovely copper-red. Makes me want to kiss you. Just like now."

He lifts himself on his elbow and leans over to press his lips to the bridge of my nose. The gesture is weirdly sweet, and makes me feel very young, and loved, and I blink against the threat of unexpected tears.

When he backs off, though, I see the fire in his eyes is lit, and as his mouth aims for mine I set my hands on his chest and lightly hold him back.

"We should get up," I say. "This isn't our bed, remember?"

In fact, it's my brother's, and I'm having a hard enough time trying not to imagine all the things he's done in it.

Ambrose sighs. "Fine. But once this is over, and I have you home and in my own, I'm keeping you there a week."

My face heats again, but I hold his gaze.

"Maybe I'll be the one keeping you," I say, and feel a small thrill of satisfaction as he blushes pink.

~ ☾ ~

Everyone is gathered in the cottage's tiny living room.

Shanti sits on the sofa with her eyes closed and her hands folded in her lap, appearing to be absorbed in some kind of meditation.  Dane, Julian, and Freya are ranged around the table, as are Chloe and Grace who, it seems, have once again provided us with a home-cooked meal: chili and cornbread, judging by the smell, which I know is one of Dane's favorites.