4 | Whispers of the Heart

Shehnaaz smiled as she waved at him. He blew his customary kiss her way and she caught it in her fist, gently kissing it. It was their thing. She shut the door when his car drove away. She made her way to the room and picked up the used wet towel which he had as usual placed on the bed. After thirty minutes, she settled at her desk and brought out her manuscript. 

It was her fourth book in making. She smiled as she revised the last chapter she had written. It was the one where Veer, her male protagonist confesses her feelings for Harleen his lady love. She smiled throughout the read. At times she couldn't believe she wrote them.

"Harleen, what do you think about the future..?" Veer questioned as they walked down to the lake located near the rear exit of their university. The last two hours had been declared as free owing to the absence of the subject teacher.

"A loving husband, a loving family and a descent job." Harleen stated looking away at the sky which was clear today unlike the last few days.

"That's some clarity. I can't believe though, that you would confess you want a future like that. I mean girls today, have bigger dreams and ambitions. No one wants anything that simple."

"We all want something we know we can't have or something we've never had." She stated lost in her thoughts. He stared at her, stopping in track while she continued slowly, etching her way forward.

"You don't think you may have all of that?"

"No silly! I want all that." Harleen spoke glancing at her best friend.

"But then you just said we all want things that we think we can never get."

"Umm, that is for others not me." Harleen spoke realizing that she had said that aloud.

The buzz of her phone brought her out of the fictional world she had created. She smiled opening the message from her dearest husband. "Riya gave birth to a baby boy. Let's meet her in the evening?" His message read.

"Sure thing. I will arrange for gifts. You just make it in time." She typed.

"Done. Will be at home by four." He typed smiling. He loved texting her. He never thought he could enjoy reading something that someone wrote so much. But that was it. He loved anything she wrote. He was totally an antifan of romance but her books, he could read them again and again.

"Tell me you are done with the next chapter. I can't wait to read it." He typed.

"I knew it. No wonder these papers smell of you. I told you to keep away from them." She typed, smiling to herself.

"Guilty as charged, wifey!" He typed following it with a kissing heart smiley.

"Focus on your work and let me focus on mine." She typed grinning.

He placed his phone away and did as she ordered. He glanced at the calendar. A week more and it would be there third wedding anniversary. His heart warmed at the thought of it. He couldn't imagine a life without her.

Shehnaaz turned to her pages trying to focus. But her focus was lost. She couldn't stop thinking about him, about them. She put the pages back and headed up to terrace. She sat in the shade looking at the sky. There were clouds, small light ones. She loved staring at them. It would be three years to their marriage. A lone tear slipped down her eye. Three years. She bit her lower lip to not break into sobs. He was like this wonderful thing that happened to her. She was living outside her head also. Unlike before, where she only lived in her head. Being a writer had it's own perks and it's dark shades.