4 - The First Battle

Gandalf had us keep as quite as possible in the mines. He seemed to know of the existence of something sinister here, one that he did not wish to gain the attention of. It was also his intention to steer clear of goblins, or orcs in the Rohirric language of Rohan, that had taken over the mines. We walked in a single file with Gandalf up front, his staff lit, and Aragorn at the very back with a fire torch in hand.

The ground we tread on and a little of what was around us was clearly visible thanks to Gandalf and Aragorn and the moonlight that came in through pockets here and there. But anything past twenty feet was still pitch dark making me queasy and edgy. My body was tense and I couldn't stop from nearly flinching from the softest of sounds, even if it was merely the footsteps of those in front of and behind me. The darkness seemed to close in on me every now and then – I'd instantly avert my eyes to the ground in front of me or the hobbits and return to my senses enough.

When Gandalf slowed, I took the support of the wall whilst closing my eyes. I breathed deeply to ease the tightness in my chest, though it wasn't of much help.

"The wealth of Moria was not in gold or jewels...but mithril," he said. Opening my eyes, I looked to where everyone was now looking. This place was a mine indeed, all equipment to mine ore left unattended at the base of the thin cliff side we walked on. There were chains that hung about making my queasiness momentarily increase but the silvery shine of metal did not go unnoticed by my keen eyes. I was glad we didn't linger to see more of it though.

At the very top of the steep steps we climbed soon after were three archways leading in different directions. Gandalf, unsure of which way to take, had us stop for a short break in our journey. The rest was welcoming by most but I was more eager to get out of this place quickly. Four days in these mines was torture enough without taking breaks in between.

I took a seat on the steps next to the hobbits burying my face in my knees. It helped my tense muscles relax for the darkness was out of sight temporarily. This chance was probably the best I would get to regain enough energy to push on for the next two days through these mines.

"Is it still too much?" I heard a melodic voice and the soft shuffle as Legolas settled next to me.

I kept my face hidden, "I've had better days."

"Your friends are with you, Leah."

"I know, but this is a fear that runs deep and long. It's not something that will be overcome easily."

Legolas was surprisingly easy to talk to. Never before had I spoken of my fear of the dark or of men or of being stripped of every last one of my defenses yet I had let my guard down in front of him twice already. I had not spoken of anything to him but my fear of the dark, of being alone had been so easy for him to see. And I hadn't regretted showing him that weakness of mine.

The others had been just as kind to me, and worried for my wellbeing. Boromir had noticed my pale complexion and had stopped to ask me if I was cold or afraid, and offered to walk by my side if that is what I needed. Aragorn too had caught me before I fell behind once, my pace slowing in momentary overwhelm, and he had offered me his cloak to keep warm when we had climbed the slopes of the Misty Mountains. The hobbits were attached and sweet, and even more concerned about me in the mines. Frodo was especially considerate and had taken hold of my hand someway through, and I was sure that it served as some reassurance to him as well.

But Legolas, something about him was strange. I was unsure if it was his quiet and tranquil persona or the fact that he didn't ask for details and merely offered moral support, or the mere fact that he was otherworldly, pristine, and angel-like. But whatever it was, it had made this journey tolerable.