6 - Lothlorien

"You have come," spoke Sir Haldir, waiting at the base of the steps we had climbed yesterday to meet with Lady Galadriel. His gaze held mine silently for a moment before he shifted it to the elleth next to me. "You may leave, Enania."

With a bow, she was gone.

"Enania said Lady Galadriel wanted to see me," I said.

"Yes, she does wish to speak with you," he answered, sounding thoughtful. "I am curious though, as to why you decided to be a part of the Fellowship. Are your motives of good or evil?"

He spoke of the power the Ring could give anyone who possessed it. Certainly I had heard the Ring whisper in a low, eerie voice, though most of its words had been incomprehensible. My concentration on the Ring was usually short-lived too, so its influence had been close to nothing until now. I was not aware of what it would be for me in the future, though the truth that there was no power I truly desired was reassurance enough that it could not control me as it would any other person. I hoped this, at least.

"I can assure you that my only wish is to protect the hobbits the best I can on this mission. I have no interest in the Ring or the power it can give. I am more than satisfied with what I have with me now," I answered without the slightest waver in my voice.

"Those are strong words, Lady Leah. Fulfilling them-"

"I will fulfil them," I interrupted. "I have chosen, and I know what path I will take from here on out. As Lady Galadriel said, I will no longer be indecisive of what I wish to do, despite my appearing in this world was unforeseen."

He watched me, searching for any hint of hesitation or falsehood. But, of course, he saw none.

"Very well, come." With a barely visible nod, he led me up the winding stairway to see Lady Galadriel. We were welcomed by her at the top, a kind smile playing on her lips and her eyes ever aware of everything that went through my mind. Sir Haldir remained while we spoke.

"You have decided," she said.

"Yes, thanks to Legolas," I answered. "There is nothing that I consider precious in my world. I am only bothered by guilt, for I left my friends behind, friends who wished to escape just as much as I did."

"You were meant to come here, Leah. Had you not attempted to escape, you would still have come here," Lady Galadriel said.

I nodded slowly, averting my eyes to the floor. It was only for a moment that I thought of Hannah and Alice. My mind yet again flooded with memories of the short time I had been here, specifically of that of the Mines of Moria and the darkness and depths that had me shudder at the mere thought of it. I was sure to face such circumstances again. The importance of the mission though could not allow such weakness to arise.

I knew I couldn't show weakness, yet I did not know how to rid myself of it.

Blinking rapidly, I returned to the present at the gentle caress of my cheeks. Lady Galadriel was standing a mere foot from me, her hands cupping my cheeks. She had a smile in place as she gazed into my eyes, warmth swirling in her own. It was strange how I had become so accustomed to seeing warmth in the eyes of those around me in this world, all except orcs and enemies who wished to take the Ring from Frodo. I never knew it could be so comforting and unshackling to be in the company of such people. I was grateful to have been chosen to come here.

"Yes," Lady Galadriel spoke softly, "it is this unwavering sight that you must have, should you wish to protect the young Halfling. Your fear of the dark is but an illusion that you have forced upon yourself."

"An illusion?" I repeated. "It is not an illusion, Lady Galadriel. It is from years of being reduced to a weak child unable to fight back. All those years-"