10 - Reuniting

My entrance in Helm's Deep was greeted with frightened and wary stares. Most were ignored as I searched for Eowyn. She was not hard to find but was nearly as wary of me as everyone else, if not more. She seemed to hold her breath as I approached her but relaxed a little when I merely sat in front of her and made visible the rolled parchment in my teeth. Hesitantly, she reached for it and read through its contents while I caressed my face with my paw.

"You're Leah?" she spoke airily, now looking over me in a sort of awe. A nod of my head confirmed her words and she broke into a smile and an airy laugh. "This is quite a surprise. Come, I will take you to where you can bathe and change."

She led me into one of the inner rooms of the Keep. Upon request, all of the men and women there cleared out to leave us alone. With no one left to see my unclothed form, I exhaled deeply and shrunk to my human appearance, a towel wrapped loosely around my frame and held in the front with my fists.

"So many scars," Eowyn spoke, a sad undertone in her voice as she approached me. The towel hung low on my back, exposing all the scars there for her to see.

"Remnants of missions and punishment," I answered, meeting her eyes.

"Punishment?"

"Yes."

"But why? Why would you be punished? Who punished you?" she pressed.

Silence hung in the air a moment while I thought of how simply I could tell her of my past. She was patient, and led me to a primeval bathtub so I could clean the dirt and blood off my body. I sunk into the water with a content sigh, then spoke, "You remember I spoke of being a mercenary before?"

"I do. You said you were forced to be," she said while washing the dirt out of my hair. Though unnecessary, I knew Eowyn would not accept my refusal for help to be washed, so I let her do as she wished.

"I tried to escape many times but failed. Most of these scars are what is remaining of what I received for trying to escape."

"That's terrible. You must have been through much...and it is proof of how strong you are. You are inspiring," she said softly.

"Inspiring? That's something new," I mused, submerging once in the water to wash off whatever dirt was left. I felt clean and fresh now, and thanked Eowyn for the new clothes she handed me to wear as I got out of the water.

The clothes were different from that of the elvish attire I had been wearing before, and not very much suitable for battle. But they were what was available for now and had to be adjusted in until I found something more comfortable to wear. After all, more battles were to come in the near future and I had to be prepared in every way.

"Would you like something to eat?" Eowyn asked when I was dressed and my hair tied up in a ponytail.

"Yes, please," I responded with a nod. A strained growl came from my stomach, though it was not audible to Eowyn. She led me out of the bath room silently, and spared charming smiles at those we passed until we reached the dining hall where many were eating their fill.

Many eyes were on us the moment we entered. It was Eowyn who stood out the most though, being beautiful and elegant but it was clear that there were some eyes on me too. It occurred to me that a gown did not suit me in the least, in fact surely looked odd on me.

"Lady Eowyn, please have a seat!" one of the men spoke, rising from his seat so she could take his place.

"Please, eat at you leisure. You have fought hard," came Eowyn's smooth response. Slightly bashful, the man sat down and resumed eating with his friends.