Chapter 1: Fear Simulation Training

Tris POV

The sun streaks through the windows of the initiate dorms as I slowly wake from my sleep. I sit up, my muscles still sore from the constant, initiation, combat training last week. This week's training is different. Four told us we wouldn't be physically fighting anymore, it's more....mental apparently.

A few others are up at this point as I finish making my bed. Eric walks in for the usual wake up call, "Everyone in the training room, 10 minutes!"

"Morning" Christina says yawning as I walk up to her bed.

"Hey, want me to go grab some muffins from the cafeteria?" I ask.

"Sure, I'll take blueber- wait no chocolate. Their blueberry ones are gross...." she replies making a face.

"So candor of you." I say, rolling my eyes jokingly.

                                        ****

After a quick breakfast Christina and I run to the training room, arriving last out of everyone, just in time to start.

"As I told you yesterday this next section of training will be more mental than physical." Four informs us.

"What're we Erudite?" Molly sneers.

Four ignores her and continues, "This type of training will tap into the part of your brain that processes fear, so we'll see just how Dauntless you really can be."

After Four finishes explaining he leads us down a hall I haven't been through before, which opens to a room which many chairs....kind of like a waiting room but Dauntless style. Lauren, the initiate trainer for the dauntless born, and her group are already there.

"Everyone take a seat." Four starts, "I'll call you each in, one at a time" gesturing to us, "and Lauren will call in her initiates one at a time."

"Sounds fun" Uriah, whom I took a seat across from, remarks sarcastically.

Once everyone sits Lauren and Four each call in their first person. Marlene is the first of the Dauntless born initiates to go in one of the two rooms with Lauren, and Al is the first of our group to go in with Four.

Minutes go by and there is chatter about the room guessing what they coud be doing behind those doors. Finally Lauren comes out and calls her next person, and shortly after that Four calls his next. After many people being called in, one after another, minutes turn into what feels like hours and there are only a few of us left in the room. I bounce my leg nervously and start to get anxious.

One of the doors open and Four enters. "Tris, you're up next...c'mon" he says. I force myself to get out of the chair and walk toward him to the room. A twisted feeling overtakes my stomach when I see what's inside.

There is a chair, sort of like one you would see a dentist but less comfortable, and is exactly like the one at my aptitude test. Beside it is a heart monitor and some other computers and machines of sorts. He lightly sets his hand on my back and nudges me along into the room.

"Take a seat." he says as his hand lifts off my back. As I sit he walks toward a table next to the monitors and computer, and from a drawer draws out a black box. He opens it, and it reveals a syringe. I gulp nervously. I hate needles. I have, ever since I was a child. Going to the doctor for annual checkups was the most nerve-racking thing ever for me. He then picks up a small vial filled with an orange sort of liquid, then proceeds to fill the needle with it.