Final Girl

2019

Montana and I walk through the camp arm in arm, enjoying each other's company before coming up on a young man.

"What's that? In your hand," I ask as he holds a strange rectangle in the air.

"Uh, it's my phone."

"That's not a phone," Montana snorts, causing me to giggle.

"Are you two Amish or something?"

Montana and I scoff again, chuckling at the man's unknowingness.

She pulls me forward and reached out her free hand, "Can I?"

"Sure," he drags, letting us examine the weird gadget.

"Oh, shit. That's rad," I breathe as my face comes up on the screen clearly with no static or lines.

Montana and I both hit the screen, trying to make it do something else and he watches us in astonishment.

"What year is this?" I ask, looking back up at him.

"Are you serious?"

"Just tell us, asshole," Montana smirks.

"It's 2019."

"Oh, my God. You're the first new guy we've seen here in, like, forever," I explain to him.

"After that shitshow in '89, we began to notice a lot less people were coming into camp. Not even the hard-core death tourists. Few years later, nobody. We were forgotten. Something else must have gotten their attention. Now we know what," Montana rambles.

"I'm sorry. Were you two even alive in 1989? And you said, "We." Who else is here other than you two?"

I look around slowly, feeling the evil presence in the air, "You got to get out of here. You're in danger. Everyone you see here is likely to kill you."

"Including you two?" He asks mockingly.

Montana's lip quivers and she quickly changes her mood, "Can we keep this?"

He looks down at the phone in our hands and quickly snatches it away, "No. There's no reception up here anyway. And I'm not leaving, not until I get some answers. I'm trying to find out what happened to my father. I know he was here."

"Your father?" I ask slowly.

"My name is Bobby Richter."

"Bobby. You're Mr. Jingles' son," I breathe as Montana pulls him in for a tight hug.

---------------------------------------------

Montana, Bobby, and I step into Montana and Trevor's cabin silently as Bobby looks around at the space. He walks through the cabin slowly, admiring the whole room while Montana and I watch him intentively.

He turns back around to face us with astonishment written all over his face. Montana and I give him a small smile and he smirks, scoffing slightly.

"I've done a lot of research on this place, and everything that happened here. I know this sounds crazy, but you two look just like..." He pulls out a binder from his bag and flips through the pages before stopping on a photo of Montana and I hugging each other tightly in front of the aerobics studio with our matching aerobics outfits on.

"Oh. Yep. That's us. It's an advertisement we did for the aerobic's studio. They put all the instructors' pictures on the wall. We had mugshots, too," I point to the pictures on the page, smirking up at him.

"That's impossible. Montana Duke and Saylor Johnson died. And even if they didn't, they'd be in their 50s. What's going on here?" He asks, slamming the binder closed and looking over at Montana and I.