SIX.

"When I'm with you, I just know I'm at my safest. When I'm with you, I just know that you gon' spray it. If I don't need that nigga 'round me, you gon' say it."

HERBERT "HUE" WRIGHT

FAILURE. Why do we avoid it as if it is a bad thing? It helps us grow. We wouldn't know ourselves without trail and error. If you fail, try again and fail better.. something my ma always told me. No successful person has ever succeeded without failing. It will build you as a person. It will teach you more and allow you to learn more. Take a breath. Try again.

Hue stared at Amir. She was beautiful. Even more beautiful than he remembered the day that he last seen her in person. They had been sitting in silence for the past five minutes. She didn't say anything to him when she opened the door. She just walked back to the couch and he followed.

Amir stared as she fiddled with her fingers. Her heart was thumping against her chest. She could feel Hue staring at her. She never thought this day would come. She thought that he was done with her for good. She had it in her head that she'd curse and scream as soon as she seen him but instead her heart fluttered when she opened the door for him. He smelled so good and he was just as handsome as she remembered.

"Amir."

She slowly looked up so that her eyes were meeting his. "We just gon' sit here in silence?"

"It's like I'm looking at a ghost. You know I heard your song on the radio the other day and I know your voice better than I know my own but I was like there's no way that Hue is still here in Chicago and hasn't reached out to me. There was just no way but here you are sitting on my damn couch. Did you even think about me?"

"Of course I did. I planned to come back a year later  when all the heat died down but-"

"You met someone." If Amir still knew Hue like she thought she did then of course that was the reason.

"And we had a baby. A girl. Her name is Kunahi." Amir took another stab to the heart.

"A baby?" She asked in disbelief. "I guess you needed something to soften your hardened heart and God knew that."

"I heard you're a doctor." Hue tried to change the subject.

"Fuck off, Herbert. Don't try and change the subject. You could never face me when I'm mad. You've always been a fucking coward. Look me in my face while you tell me how you left someone who had been your only family for 10+ years and went and made another one. Look at me!" She yelled while standing up.