one

"Get down from the tree, Mahira. You're going to break your bones."

Seven years old Alizah Khan yelled at her best friend worriedly, who was trying to catch a dragonfly from the top of a tree. Her parents have gone shopping and no one was there to talk sense into her crazy best friend, who was unfazed by her scolding and yelling.

Mahira Hussain sat casually on the branches of the tree, patiently waiting for the right time to come, so she'd catch a fly. There was no valid reason for why she was catching them. She just wanted to and she will.

"Ali, keep quiet. You're going to scare them. I'm almost close to catching this. Don't disturb me." Mahira whisper yelled, her eyes totally focused on the many dragonflies flying near the tree.

"What the hell is she doing?" Ten years old Asad Khan asked his stepsister, with wide eyes as he came into their backyard listening to his annoying sister's screaming, which was audible from here till his room.

"Trying to catch a dragonfly," Alizah replied to her stepbrother with a huff and cast her best friend a glare. She's going to get her into trouble today for sure. Asad would make sure of that. God, she hated him so much.

"Your friend is stupid, just like you." Asad rolled his eyes.

"HEY!"

"Don't call her stupid." Alizah and Ameen Qureshi snapped at the same time, it was only then she noticed her brother's best friend, who stood behind him with worried eyes. He was a sweet boy, unlike her brother.

"Whatever. I'll tell your mother when she comes." Asad left with a smirk, making Aliazh widen her eyes, she ran behind to bribe him with something otherwise, he'd seriously tell her mother.

It was only Ameen and Mahira now. They have never talked before. They had no reason to. But looks like today they will, and it was making little Ameen feel so giddy and happy. For some weird reason, he likes that girl so much.

"Did you catch any fly yet?" Ameen asked after mustering up a lot of courage, and that finally caught Mahira's attention. She has observed him a lot during her every visit to this place, they've never spoken before though.

"I am going to catch it, just wait and see." Seven years old Mahira was very determined, stubborn and adamant. She felt something weird while talking with him but ignored that feeling, trying to concentrate on catching the fly.

Ameen looked on amusingly, still a little bit worried. What if she fell? He had to do something and his eyes shone brightly as a thought occurred to him suddenly. He ran upstairs to the storeroom with a grin and took the balloon swimming pool with him and ran back to the backyard. Asad was busy making Alizah clean his dirty room, so they both didn't notice his doings. For which he was glad.

A sigh left him, when she was still on the tree, sitting safely. He was glad that she didn't fall in his absence.

Just as he placed the balloon pool down the tree, she fell with a yelp and fell right into it. Tears streamed down her cheeks in horror as she recollected the memories quickly, but smiled when she realized that nothing has happened. And her grin only widened as she saw a struggling dragonfly in her hands, which was trying hard to fly away.

"You saved me." Mahira grinned at him gratefully whilst getting up from the little pool.

Ameen felt something weird inside him as she grinned at him, he felt like he has achieved a gold medal or something.

"I did."

"I'm Mahira."

"I know, you're Hira."