three

Ameen wanted to run away from the Khan villa that day, he hated every minute being spent with little miss Maya as his best friend calls her. God, she was the most annoying girl he has ever met and tolerates her only for the sake of Asad. She was Asad's stupid cousin. 

His best friend passed him an apologetic smile, for he had to listen about Maya's designer bags for the fifth time that evening. Ameen rolled his eyes in return and the dumb girl just continued with whatever she was rambling without noticing the disinterested looks people are passing her way. 

It was Asad's nineteenth birthday party and all of their classmates and close friends were present in the living room currently, eating snacks, drinking juices and playing games and doing whatnot. Of course, there was no alcohol. Maya happens to come here without any invitation and no one was happy about it. 

"Why don't you go and mingle with Alizah and her friends?" Asad finally asked, unable to take any more of her nonsense. The only thing which he'd agree with his stepsister would be about this girl Maya. He disliked her as much as his stepsister does. But has to tolerate her for the sake of his dead mother.

"Ugh, don't even ask. Your annoying step sister and her stupid friend. What do they think of themselves?" 

As soon as the word stupid left her mouth, Ameen clenched his fists in fury. 'How dare she' He thought with a frown. Asad, who knew how obsessed his best friend was with Mahira, gulped nervously. 

"Stop calling her stupid." Ameen snapped at Maya, who looked taken aback at his reaction. It was the first time he was talking with her that evening and she didn't expect him to be so rude. 

"Asad, just because its your birthday party, I'm tolerating all this nonsense. What do you all think of yourselves? Do you know who I am, who my father is?" Maya growled in anger as she glared at Ameen and then at Mahira who just happen to pass that way. 

"What?" Mahira snapped back at her, seeing that girl glared at her for no particular reason. What did she ever do to her?

"Don't use that tone with me, you middle-class witch." Maya threw her apple juice on Mahira and felt satisfied for spoiling the beautiful white frock which she wore that day. 

Had she not been a girl, Ameen could swear that he'd have punched her face like crazy. He felt helpless like never before, seeing his girl being insulted like that. 

"How dare you?" Alizah who was beside Mahira punched Maya in the nose for humiliating her best friend like that. The people around them gasped in shock and there was a pin drop silence.

Only Ameen was the one who felt happy for that punch. She freaking deserved it and he mentally made a note to treat Alizah with something the next day.  

Tears welled up in Mahira's eyes as she processed everything. She was never insulted in such a brutal way. She knew her family was from the middle class but Alizah never had any problem with that. Nobody did. 

Anger rose in her as she recollected Maya's words and before they all could grasp what the hell was happening, Mahira threw another hard punch on Maya, knocking the girl on the ground, making her wince in pain. 

Alizah smiled smugly in Maya's direction, who was still on the ground. 

Ameen's heart fluttered at the fact that she stood up for herself. He couldn't describe what he felt at that moment. But damn, his respect for Hira grew to another extreme after that evening. 

"My father will sue all of you," Maya muttered venomously whilst eyeing Mahira, Alizah and Ameen, before running away from there. 

"Whatever. Let's go and clean you up, babe. I'm done with this stupid birthday party." Alizah dragged her friend with her, while Ameen looked on in their direction, feeling slightly helpless and worried. Will Mahira be okay, was his worry.