seven

Mahira was at loss of words as she stared at her reflection in the mirror, dressed up in a golden colour lehenga as his bride. She was speechless. Her hair and make-up were done neatly and the person in front of her grinned before leaving her alone. 

Breathe, Mahi...

"He's the same Ameen, who you know for all these years," came her sister's reassuring voice, as she stood behind her with a wide smile on her face. Mawra was dressed in a maroon colour saree and left her hair loose, "remember the day when I was getting married?" 

She nodded her head as a nostalgic smile played on her lips, "I do, you made me call jiju at the last moment." Mawra chuckled at the memory, which felt like just yesterday but five years has passed so quickly, Masha Allah. 

"I was so scared back then, I don't know how did you walk past all those people and called him, but it really helped. I got a chance to converse with him somehow," Mahira grinned mischievously as she heard her sister's words, "how did you think I called him?" 

"Well, I didn't know then. But now I do I guess, Ameen?" A blush appeared on her face as she recollected that day, of how she called Alizah and begged her to send his number and how her best friend teased her like crazy, but finally, Ameen's number was there in her phone somehow. 

"I swear, we didn't start talking until I was eighteen. But I got his phone number through my best friend and asked for his help. We both were feeling so happy yet so shy that day as I asked his help." A drop of tear rolled down her cheeks as she slipped into the past. 

"And here we are, getting you ready for your own wedding. Masha Allah, and you look so pretty. Ameen is going to faint today." Mawra teased her sister before placing a kiss on her forehead, "I might have never told you before, but I love you, okay. I always have. You are my little sister after all." 

Mahira nodded her head emotionally, if there was any distance between her siblings, she was equally responsible as well. The six/five years age gap and the teenage phase of all three of them have played a major role in it. But she was glad that they're trying to work on it. She was overwhelmed when the same scenario happened with Ahil yesterday, who apologized for the times they fought. 

"Let's not think about the past, we can't mess your make-up. But if you need to talk about anything in the future, any help at all, don't hesitate to ask me. Okay?" 

"Thank you, Mawra." Smiling widely at her sister, she gave her a tight hug, shocking the both of them. But they hugged for a good one minute before someone cleared his throat. 

"Siblings time without me?" Ahil was emotional would be an understatement. He remembered crying buckets on Mawra's nikkah. But he never expected to cry at Mahira's wedding, considering they only fight all the time. He was proved wrong because he couldn't stop that damn tears today as well. 

"Join us," Mawra mumbled with a smile and the next moment the three were hugging each other; happily, emotionally. It happened for the first time and Mahira felt all kinds of happiness, which words can never explain. Today is very special for her and this moment just added more to it. She'd cherish this moment in her memory forever and ever. 

"It's time to go actually, the moulvi Saab is ready, everyone is ready. Is the bride ready?" Ahil grinned once they broke the hug, "yes, I am." She replied with a shy smile and they saw their parents crying emotionally, whilst standing near the door. 

"Take a picture, Akram. I have never seen these three so happy before. All they did was fight." Rashida smiled sadly whilst walking close to her kids and pulled her youngest and dearest daughter in her embrace, "I'm sorry, Mahi." She whispered whilst placing a kiss on her forehead.