vi

john knew the moment he had poured those filthy words out of his mouth, towards the innocent looking girl in front of him, in that rainy friday, over two weeks ago, that she had been through a great loss. the way her eyes welled up, lifeless and full of sadness. she had lost her mother.

pulling his glasses up the bridge of his nose, his fingertips travelled to the framed photo, sitting on the edge of the fireplace. the next morning had arrived, ten past thirty two minutes was what the clock told and john's pulsing heart inside his head couldn't be louder. he felt nauseous, with little to no memory of the night before.

somehow, he felt connected to lucy because of their losses. was he being ridiculous about this? probably, but neither way was he going to lose lucy. his fingers grazed the picture, tracing from lucy's mother to the little girl in her lap, with a big toothy smile.
unknowingly, the corners of his lips slowly curved, a smile of his own being drawn in his face. lucy's resemblance to her mother was magnificent. the smile, eyes, hair, everything...

on the other side of the ground floor of the house, some clatter was heard. the cabinets doors flew open as lucy scavenged for pain killers for the poor soul in the living room. alice munched on a cookie she previously dipped on a smoking mug of milk, her legs dangling from the kitchen counter.

"i knew he was your boyfriend." alice spoke up, as cheshire jumped to her side, sniffing at the cookie she held up from him. lucy shook her head, a goofy smile on her lips.

"stop being silly, he had a bad night," lucy explained, turning the tap on, the glass she held slowly filling with clear water, "i'll buy you a bag of jelly babies for your silence." the older sister, turned to face the young girl, fingers sliding from one corner of her mouth to the other in a zipping motion. alice giggled at her sister, as cheshire took a big lick of the mug she grasped on.

lucy shooed cheshire away from her sister's breakfast with a simple wave of her hand. the small cat jumped out of the counter, skipping to the living room.

"i won't snitch, i like john and his friends, " alice looked up to lucy with a big grin, "but speaking of jelly babies-"

"ah ha too late young lady!" lucy winked, chuckling at alice's pouting face, as she strolled to the next compartment of the house with a painkiller in one hand and a cup full of water in the other.

"not fair lucy!" alice's shout followed the other girl as she gave a small wicked laugh at her sister's frustration.

john stayed put in front of the framed pictures, eyes fixated on them. cheshire cuddled against his chest, as he pulled it closer to him, between his arms, the cat already snoozing out. the soft footsteps behind him caught the boy off guard and he spun around immediately, eyes meeting lucy's.
she looked even more beatiful now that the teddy had his eyeglasses put but the surprised face of the blonde, made john realize he was still wearing them.

"go on, stare all you want. the four eyed monster." john snorted, his gaze turning more hostile by the second. lucy felt threatened, but she wasn't staring, she was mesmerised by john's cuteness. even though his hair was a greasy mess, face unwashed, clothes crumpled, his eyeglasses made his face even more handsome. the lenses were as thick as the end of bottles and that worried her since it meant he should wear them more frequently, to which he didn't, she presumed.