viii

it was friday, and lucy sat on her final lesson, watching eagerly the clock tick away. the teacher spoke with a monotonous rhythm and more than half of the students paid no mind to him. after this class, lucy was planning on cycling around her neighbourhood or maybe stop by the record store, she just wanted to get out of there and enjoy her weekend.

as soon as the class finished, lucy gathered her books, pilling them inside her bag and strolled out of the classroom. she didn't forget about cynthia's date on that day, it was all cyn could talk about during the whole week. her friend and john were going on a lunch date since they didn't have any more classes in the afternoon just like lucy.

it was a beautiful day, well for liverpool wintry weather it was nice at least. the sky was grey, filled with clouds that threatened to cry at any moment but that didn't frighten lucy. she liked the rain.

"hello little girl." an arm snuggled its way around lucy's shoulders, as her eyes cruised up. stu shoot his best grin, lucy replying with a small frown. john appeared beside him, a flushed red cynthia already glued to his side.

"i'm not that little, sutcliffe." she shook her head, eyes wandering back to the teddy. lucy was taller than cynthia, had the same height as sixteen year old george so, in her perspective, she was quite tall.

john begged to differ with her answer, as he swallowed a snarky remark down his throat. "we'll be off now. stu behave yourself or i'll beat yer ass." he threatened, balling up his hand into a fist while stu slid down his sunglasses to the tip of his nose, giving his friend a wink.

cynthia waved at lucy, a pretty smile drawn in her lips as lucy quickly waved back with the same excitement. the couple walked down the street, already lost in their bubble.

"so, what are we doing on this lovely afternoon?" stu asked, as they strolled to where lucy had parked her bycicle. the boy had already slid his arm off lucy's shoulders, the blonde sighing with relief. the stares from the other girls around them were starting to creep her out.

"i'm cycling to penny- hold on! did you just invite yourself to hang out with me?" lucy gasped. stu let out a belly laugh, completely amused by her reaction.

"did i?" he fired back, after regaining his posture again. lucy rolled her eyes, smile on her lips until a familiar face caught her eye.

george rode his bicycle past the duo, oblivious of the presence of his friends. his mind was set on a target that had already left, but the boy was determined to find them.

for some strange reason, lucy had the urge to follow him and she quickly undid the lock that helped secure her bicycle, hopping onto it.
"change of plans, mister sutcliffe!" she smiled as she pedalled past the teddy, who ran after her.

"where are you going?" stu shouted, struggling to get rid of the lock that strained his bicycle.

"see what got george in such a hurry!" the girl shouted with a grin, her hair flowing with the wind. stuart smiled as he finally accomplished to free his bike and without second thoughts, he followed the girl. it could be fun, he thought.

rounding a corner, the girl halted to a stop, as she spotted the highly suspicious teddy hiding in an alley between two stores, eyes focused on something. slowly, she walked up to him, both hands on the front end of her bicycle, "who are we spying on?" lucy whispered, as she got close to the boy.