Chapter 014 | Dear Romeo

The engagement was two days away and her 20th birthday the day after. Anxiety had crawled into her skin and had refused to leave as she realized that every minute brought her closer and closer to the big day. Shanya couldn't remember the last time she'd been this nervous, this close to losing her shit. Her upcoming birthday did nothing to soothe her as she didn't need a reminder that she wasn't getting any younger.

The sound of overlapping waves across the beach and children playing in the sand was a welcome distraction for her as she relaxed atop the multicolored beach chair, reading a book she knew she'd never finish. She'd known it was garbage the minute she'd read the title—White liesand had been right. It was full of unnecessary drama and the main character was annoying. She'd only brought it with her because she'd wanted something to do other than watch Lily and Graham have eye sex all day.

"Does he have to be here?" Lily hissed from beside her, her long braids—brown this time—scattered about her in a nice heap as she lounged across a similarly colored beach chair, staring directly across the rows of folding chairs spread on the sandy beach where Travis sat, far enough away that you wouldn't think he was with them but close enough that he was probably within earshot.

He winked at Lily who in turn scowled, her face twisting in displeasure. Shanya almost laughed out loud. Somehow, Lily had gotten lighter and thinner during her baecation to Hawaii with Graham and her skin positively glowed underneath the sun rays. Her burgundy bikini with flowery designs on the tits area was a fine contrast to Shanya's mint-colored bikini which absolutely complimented her particular shade.

She dropped the ridiculous book on her thighs and peered at her friend's annoyed expression, hiding a smile. She may hate Travis's gut but it was always nice to know someone hated it even more.

"Afraid so," she finally answered. "We've got driving lessons in about an hour." Driving lessons which were going nowhere as Shanya was far from overcoming her driving phobia. Four weeks in and she was no better working the brakes and the accelerator or keeping up with all the gear names than she'd been when she'd first started. She couldn't even drive for more than five minutes without breaking into a sweat and feeling nauseated. She'd vomited the last time. Twice. And had wanted to run Travis over when he'd given her a pitiful look. After all, a student was only as good as his teacher. But to his credit, Travis was surprisingly patient.

And to be fair, she wasn't practicing by herself like she'd been told to do. Although she did master the PRNDL gear stick. In her book, that was something.

"So what, he's just gonna sit there and wait?" Lily whined, her fingers reaching for the margarita pizza on the box laying beside her as she keenly watched Travis who was now speaking to a rather curvy white woman, his expression unreadable. The voluptuous lady perked up her nose at something he said, her hands skimming up and down his exposed torso. "Nevermind."

Shanya ignored the irksome scene and stared at her friend. Since she'd returned, she'd been in a bit of a mood. Apparently, she'd taken a detour to see her parents in Seattle, even gave them some cash. Shanya felt a tug in her heart yet again but ignored it and focused on all of Lily's tells. The snappy attitude, the twitch in her eyebrow, the almost quiet demeanor... Yup. Something had definitely happened.

She'd wanted to broach the topic the minute Lily stepped through their beautiful front porch in a killer outfit but a rather dull countenance, but she hadn't felt it was the right time to ask. However, with Graham a few minutes away, she decided now was a perfectly good time to poke the bear. And selfishly, she desperately needed something that would take her mind off the engagement party.

"So, are you finally going to tell me what the hell happened in Seattle?'

Lily's eyes darted to her in surprise and Shanya noticed how her face twisted in even more displeasure as she sat up a little and sank her teeth into the pizza.