Chapter 03 | Hot Cocoa

Hey Patient readers:-) As you may or may not know, I've been battling a terrible illness hence the absence of uploads but I'm well on my way to recovering now. You guys have been incredibly patient so thank you! Here is the long awaited chapter. Its a special one because... well, you'll know why soon enough. Happy reading!

Shanya had come to the life-altering revelation that waitressing was not meant for her. No, sir. Her burns and bruises were proof of that testament. She hated waiting tables, hated the toll it had on her feet, hated those stuck up jerks who acted high and mighty when giving her a tip, and she especially hated the ones that had the gall to slap her butt. If she had any magic, she would avada kedavra the shit out of them. But she reminded herself that she needed this job, needed the money.

She wasn't used to this way of living and it showed. If one were to twist her arm, she would even say she missed her home. It had been six months since she'd left. Chicago had tracked her down and tried to get her to come back, but it was no use. She was not going to return to that house. It was mostly pride because she wasn't ready to admit to Chicago that she'd been struggling. She'd rather not see the smug look on his face. So between pride and dignity, she'd choose pride, any day.

In the end, he'd had to bring her personal things from the house like the dear old brother he was. Coming to think of it, Chi should be proud of her. She'd made up her mind to do something and she'd stuck to it. Wasn't he always going on and on about how she should make mature decisions?

The thought brought a smile on her face. She was holding her own nicely, not as nicely as she'd like but she had a roof over her head, a job, and money for basic necessities. Some people had less.

Then again some people's moms didn't cost them a fortune and kick them out of the house.

"Dan is such a douche!" Lily hissed, marching into the kitchen in a frenzy. Her blue and white waitress uniform accentuated her hips in ways Shanya's never would. The girl had an ass.

"What'd he do this time?" Shanya asked as she handed Table two's order to Aja, the newest girl around after her, who gave her a disapproving look before taking it from her hand. Shanya didn't bat an eyelash.

"Remember Mr. Monroe? The bald guy who thinks he's funny and talks too much?" Lily didn't wait for her answer. " Yeah, he was talking non-stop today. Going on and on 'bout his ex wife's husband and how he doesn't understand why she would leave him for some rich fancy rancher. Well, I know why she left his sorry ass. He talks too damn much!"

Shanya snickered at this. Lily had no time for talkatives which was incredibly ironic since she was one herself. She watched as the Chef and everyone else present pretended they were not listening in on their conversation.

"I mean, why would he think I give a damn?" Lily continued. "He made all these jokes about the rancher's appearance and I had to do that thing where I'm fake laughing but also trying not to encourage him. But after I had been standing there for over fifteen minutes—which is even more time than I give my one night stands—I told him to shut his trap and tell his stupid jokes to someone who had the time."

Shanya's eyes widened. And so, she observed, did everyone else's. Naomi, the oldest employee, dropped a plate. The sound of shattered glass wasn't even enough to deter the conversation. They were used to noise around here. No—rackets would be a more apt description.

"Lily, tell me you didn't."

Mr Monroe was their best paying customer. She could see why Dan would be pissed.

"Can't. I'd be lying," Lily's eyes glinted with triumph, more emotion than Shanya had ever seen in this rat's dump. "You should've seen his face. Honestly, I thought he was gonna cry. I don't know why he tries so damn hard to be funny. His bald head is already funny. Anyway, he flat out lied to Dan Douche and told him I brought him the wrong order. I'm telling you, girl, there are no decent men alive anymore. Everyone's either a dick, a liar, or a perv. Or all of the above."