Chapter 026 | Mother Knows Best

Arrrgh! One more chapter before the epilogue, you guys! Hbjihddidgwvwndjdbdghfj:-!
I'm stoked. If you've read this far, thank you! Thank you for reading my book. Thank you for all the votes. Thank you for your comments. It means so much more than you can ever know. *pecks you*

The blinding light from the blinds caused Shanya to wince as she sat upon what looked like a hospital bed. But it was the sickening smell of medicine and air repellent that made her moan. Damn hospitals. She'd spent enough time in them to know she despised them. Hence the wonder why she'd ever want to study medicine. But she knew the answer to that before that thought was over. Her dad. When he'd gotten sick, she'd been helpless to stop the pain she witnessed every day of those miserable four weeks in the hospital. He'd needed her and although she was there for him in all the ways that mattered, she hadn't been what he needed. What his body needed.

Still, being back in a hospital brought back all those painful memories. The sickness that hung in the air, the melancholic vibe, and the depression on people's faces was no picnic. Worse, the doctors wasted no time to probe needles up their—

Her eyes widened as recent events made their way through the barrels of her mind. Heather. The fight. Brain death. Muscle spasms.

She wriggled her toes, it moved. Her brain was working well if her previous thoughts were any proof. And she obviously wasn't dead. But if everything was okay and sundry, why was she in a hospital bed?

The door opened just then, causing Shanya to jump. A petite brunette nurse swept in with a smile, notepad in hand. She didn't look more than Shanya's age. But Shanya still kept a considerable distance from her position on the bed.

"Good morning, Shanya. How do you feel?" Her voice was light and squeaky.

Shanya let her eyes drop to the nametag on her left breast.

"Fine, Rachel. Thank you."

Rachel smiled, revealing a slight gap between her front teeth. She set the notepad on the table and advanced towards Shanya, a light probe in hand. Her hands were warm and soft to the touch as she checked Shanya's vitals and temperature.

Shanya waited until she was done. "How long have I been out?"

"A few days," Rachel replied, sticking the equipment in her pockets and then writing what Shanya assumed to be observations in her white notepad. "And can I just say, you have a wonderful family. They never left your side. Especially your charming fiancee."

Shanya was still trying to grasp the "few days" part. All must not be well if she'd been here for that long. "Am I - "she cleared her throat, afraid to know the answer. "Am I okay?"

Rachel stopped writing, and it was the warm smile in her eyes that caused Shanya to breathe a little easier than she did.

"I'm not permitted to reveal that information or the details, that's Doctor Ernest's job. But I will say you've got nothing to worry about. The strychnine didn't cause long-lasting damages. This is just a precaution."

Shanya exhaled slightly, a weight in her shoulders lifting. "Thank you, Rachel."

Rachel nodded and Shanya added, "What was that you were saying about my family and a certain charming gentleman?"

Rachel blushed deeply, and Shanya giggled.

"They're outside waiting in the hall right now, shall I get them?"

She shook her head. "Just get Lily Harris, please."

With a nod, Rachel exited the room, leaving Shanya with nothing but her thoughts. She leaned against the metal headboard and brought the covers up to her waist.