Prologue

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I do not own Octonauts, or any related characters. The Octonauts series is created by Meomi and owned by Silvergate Media. All rights of the Octonauts series go to Silvergate Media. I am not making any profit of any kind from this story, and this story is a work of fanfiction and is meant for entertainment purposes only.

All characters in the story are either from the Octonauts franchise or purely fan-made.

******

Nature.

When this one solitary word is spoken, an image of many different colours and astonishing beauty usually comes to mind. There is a turquoise-blue stream winding its way through an oak-brown and primitive forest, a magical waterfall ecstatically swishing over some rocks, great lengths of mountains brooding over land. There are the four seasons, from the amethyst-purple crocuses of spring and the intoning bees which fill the summer air, to the barbecue-red leaves escaping from the confines of tree branches in the autumn and the zombie-white snowflakes falling in the winter.
There are lots more which probably come to mind when you think of nature, and it will more than likely flood your mind with images.

However, there is one part of nature which is normally invisible to the eye of the average Earth dweller: magic.

And it's not the kind that you usually associate with the likes of witches, mermaids, unicorns, elves or fairies.

This kind of magic is seen in many different ways, which are normally explained by modern science. For example, one may see a very strong shower of rain make its way onto the dry grounds of a desert which has only recently been impacted by a drought; or, one may see a new island being created, with the potential of being the perfect home for many families to live.
You might also see magic in the way that a new field of gorgeous flowers suddenly comes to existence, without warning or sun or water to help it grow; or when a serious illness or injury that is thought to kill the person inflicting it is suddenly healed, as if it had never happened in the first place.

You see, magic does not wish to be seen, and many people are happy to pretend that it doesn't exist. However, you might see it, if you look hard enough, and if you truly believe in it.

All of this originates from a fabled, magical universe named Aeseganora, hidden in the darkest part of the Mariana Trench in the Midnight Zone under the sea. At first glance, it seems more like an island of abandoned cities rather than a mystical land. Overgrowing plants happily rest upon the majority of the buildings' crumbling, cracked walls, and there hardly seems to be any life in any of its towns or villages at all.
However, the one part of the world that refuses to disappear into the unknown is Ocalihalla, Aeseganora's capital. It is always kept in tip-top shape and condition, and so many things have happened to make it the liveliest place in the world. Its citizens bustle to and fro, locals doing their jobs, Travellers trekking through the urban jungle, scribbling notes in their diaries.

In the time between the founding of Aeseganora almost one hundred and eighty years ago, and the summer, a lot had changed.

Everyone in the world knew that one thing was clear - a change was overdue. And it was the birth of a new superhero team that ultimately did just that.
As well as other things.

****************

King Ollum of Ocalihalla was working. Well, at least, if you asked him, that's what he would say that he was doing. What he was actually doing was sitting on his throne, his ankles crossed on one of the arms as he leaned back on the other, reading a dusty old book, completely aware of the loud, echoing sound of the Kingdom Clock ticking, but at the same time, not at all bothered by it.