3

"That was Minho, he's the Keeper of the runners here."

Penelope

Penelope

I SWING my feet in circular motions, as they don't quite reach the floor from where I'm sitting on the edge of Newt's stiff bed. He had returned a few minutes prior, though he isn't making much conversation, something about being tired from work. Boring.

"What did you do to that guy today?" Newt's voice breaks me out of my thoughts, causing me to glance over at him. 

"He ran into my fist." I don't really want to make a big deal out of the situation, thus why I'm trying to lighten the atmosphere. Newt lets out a soft sigh, shifting himself so he is now sat next to me on his bed. 

"You can talk to me, y'know? I'll be here." I just nod wordlessly for a few seconds, processing what he said.

In all honesty, of course Newt seems like a nice guy, but how can he say he'll be here for me? I don't know how I'm supposed to trust anyone when I just woke up here, and somehow I'm the only girl here. Newt studies my expression before rubbing the space between his eyebrows and frowning slightly.

"Gally let you off easy, y'know." He breaks out momentary silence, causing me to gaze over at him. "You've got a lot of people confused, and scared really. They don't want things changing, and when you outwardly disobey our rules as the number one outcast-" Outcast?  "You scare them."

I open my mouth to reply, but no words escape my lips, and instead a loud whine fills the silence that was in the air, causing my eyes to widen slightly as Newt glances over at me. 

"Did you hear that? Do you think someone's hurt?" Newt questions as the noise sounds again, a shrill sort of low-pitched whine. 

"No, uh-" I begin, but Newt jumps to his feet, dragging me up with him. 

"It sounded bad, Penny." I rub the back of my neck with my hand, before slowly bringing it down and pointing to my stomach. 

Penny. I like the nickname.

"The noise." I chuckle awkwardly, as it's my stomach making the noises.

"Oh my god, you're pregnant? I bet it's Gally's, isn't it? Holy shuc-" Newt begins rambling.

"No, Newt! Oh my god, I'm hungry." I let my hand fall back to my side again as he sort of lets out a half-exhale, half-laugh. 

"Are you serious?" He runs his hand through his hair now. I nod timidly before making my way towards the food hall, Newt hot on my heels. 

"Gally didn't let me get lunch." I explain, and Newt covers his mouth to stifle his loud laughter as to not offend me. I just give him an annoyed look.

We walk together, Newt occasionally saying hi to a couple of boys that we pass through the glade, though I'm unfamiliar with them, causing me to just send nods to anyone who smiles at me.