17

"Has anyone seen Clint?"

Penelope

"PENELOPE, you and I are gonna go get Alby, alright?" I'm broken out of my thoughts when Thomas motions to me, and Gally is reluctant to let me go, but seems as though he knows Thomas is competent as he firmly nods.

"Be safe." Gally hauls me in for a quick hug, and he squeezes my frame before running off.

Thomas then quickly takes a hold of my hand as we look around the glade in the direction of the medjack hut within the darkness before sprinting towards the medjack hut, as though we're more likely to save him if we run faster.

We, however, don't make it far before the gladers break out into chaos, with screaming and yelling, and boys throwing around torches lit with blazing fires which get dangerously close to the buildings and one another. It feels like everything is falling apart tonight.

I hear everyone yelling to hide before I hear or see the grievers that emerge from the maze, which I'm sort of glad about, as I know I will completely freeze up if I see one close up. 

Moving away from the medjack hut, Tommy drags me into some of the gardening weeds where we look hidden well enough from the grievers. 

"Stay down." Zart whispers to me, and I've never quite seen him so terrified as he backs up and moves further into the small corn field after giving my shoulder a reassuring squeeze.

I mouth to Zart that he's okay, and he did the same, to me, as we stay silent to distract the grievers which I can hear groaning and making mechanical whirring sounds all around us.

Whenever I hear the noise of a griever, I hear a scream followed by it, causing me to ball up some of Thomas' shirt in my fist out of nerves. Thomas is quick to put his hand over mine as the sounds of a griever approaching got closer and closer to where we're hiding, causing a ball of anxiety and nerves to conjure up in my stomach.

There's always the good kind of butterflies, the kind that Tommy gives me, the kind that Newt gives me, but they're far from the nervous butterflies we get when we're under stress, the kind that I'm currently suffering from. The feeling of agonising fear only spikes when we all hear the sound of a yell, causing me to gaze up to see a large griever's stinger attached to Zart's body and pinning him to the ground.

"Hey-" He yells out, trying to get us to help him as I make the motion to move over to him, being pulled back by Thomas who refuses to let me leave his side.

"Stay down, Zart!" I yell out to him, my eyes widening as he's gripped tighter by the griever.

Watching Zart get pulled away by the griever is the most disturbing thing I've ever seen in my entire life. It's torture, watching your friend get dragged away in an inhumane death.

I let out a loud scream when he's really gone, and I don't have time to comprehend what I'm thinking as Thomas drags me up and we begin running once again.