4

"Don't go near him. Don't talk to him, I don't care."

Penelope

Penelope.

"I THOUGHT you'd have at least told me if you were staying out, you know how dangerous it is out there?" I roll my eyes at his over-protectiveness, and suddenly understand why he has the nickname Mama Noot, but this is just irritating, especially when I'm exhausted.

"I get it, Newt, I'm sorry. Just lecture me and get it over with, I'm too tired to deal with this." I sigh out now, keeping my arms folded tightly over my chest, half out of self-consciousness and half out of pride. 

This seems to, if anything, make Newt more annoyed as I step back towards the dinky dresser, sitting on top of it as I begin brushing my hair. Luckily, feminine hygiene products are supplied to me, including the hairbrush. As I'm brushing through my hair, I hear Newt get up from where he was sitting on the bed.

"Are you serious? You're not even listening to me right now, Penny." Using my nickname while he is angry at me is satisfying, in some sickening kind of way that I'm shunning myself for letting it cross my mind. 

I let out a sigh, placing the hairbrush down. "I was just outside, I was with Zart, okay? Jeez.." I let my voice trail off as I begin to gaze over at him. 

Newt is standing now, a couple of meters away, in some light grey sweatpants that are a little too big, rolled at the waist to stay up, and no shirt. I feel embarrassed for letting my eyes drag up and down his body, briefly stopping at his bare chest for what feels like an agonisingly long time, though it was probably just a couple of seconds. I notice Newt staring at me too, reminding me of a sudden insecurity that I'm just in a sports bra and sweats.

Newt has a skinny frame, and his skin is more pale than I'd imagined for someone who works out in the gardens all day doing farm work. I can just faintly make out the outline of his slim yet toned stomach in the dimly lit room.

I can remember just wearing a sports bra and sweatpants with friends, as though it was normal once, when I used to know girls, though I can't remember who with, or when. My memory is still jumbled and faded, only my name and someone called Aris, whom I supposedly loved.

Newt shakes his head slightly, his lips forming a thin line before he continues speaking as his eyes find their way up, locking onto my eyes. "Look, you really think you're safe out there? Especially at night? And with Zart of all people?" 

I meekly nod my head. "Zart is one of the Keepers, mind you it was probably you and Alby that elected him to be one, so if you don't think he's trustworth-" 

Newt cuts me off by stepping towards me, the anger now incredibly prominent in his eyes as he glares at me.

"For shucks sake, Penelope- just when I thought you couldn't get more bloody naive." Newt isn't yelling, but his words feel like a slap to the face, and I don't really understand why is annoyed at me in the first place