7

"To new beginnings."

Penelope

Penelope

HE'S THE LAST ONE. Ever.

The words bounce around in my mind for what feels like hours, though it is only a few seconds while we wait for the new boy to be pulled out of the box by Gally, who has a death grip on him.

"What do you think it means?" I hear Zart speak up from beside me, causing me to wearily glance over. 

"I don't think I want to know, to be honest."

The new greenie stands up, out of the box, and the first thing I notice is his floppy brown hair, coated in a thick layer of sweat and his light olive skin, complimenting his dark coffee-coloured eyes. 

He seems terrified, his eyes widening and locking on mine for a few seconds before he starts turning around, looking at all of us, spinning, trying to figure out where he is; at least he didn't pull a knife on the second in command when he got here.

Without hesitation, the boy sprints away from us as though his life depends on it, and my anxiety begins to increase when I realise just where he is headed. The maze.

From beside me, I hear Zart's voice ring into my ears as he yells, "Hey, we got a runner!"

Laughter erupts from the group of gladers, and I can't help but feel bad for the poor greenie, I mean this time last month that was me. 

"Nice! You score a 2, greenie." One of the boys whom I haven't met yet calls out to the greenbean who has face-planted shortly after running across the glade. He had made it a long way though, at a good speed.

I want to introduce myself to the new boy, as I know he's probably scared out of his mind right now, but before I get a chance, Alby has him taken to the slammer, causing me to go hang out with Gally instead.

I can feel Newt's eyes on me as I sit with the builders, that's the good thing about being a medjack though. Work in the gardens or as a builder is constant everyday, being a medjack is only important when someone is hurt a few times a day.

"So what you're trying to say is that you know the greenie?" I'm basically interviewing Gally at this point, since he's so worked up over the new boy. 

Maybe he has a crush on him and is trying to hide it. Maybe they dated before they were sent up to the glade, and maybe they had two kids and a d-

"No, I don't know him Pen. I've seen him." Gally speaks with a tone of finality, as if nothing I nor anyone else could say would possibly change his opinion. 

"Okay, you've seen him...where? When you got stung?" I try not to go too far with what I'm saying, since Gally is sensitive about talking about when he got stung.

Come to think of it, everyone who has been stung seems to refuse to talk about it, the most I've been told was that they get their memories back in bits and pieces, and nobody seems to want to talk about why we're here, or life outside of the glade. Curiosity eats at me some days, and I feel jealousy consume me when I know that others are here with memories. However, after hearing how Gally had described the changing to be, I'm not so sure I actually would want to go through with something like that, even if the reward would be knowing who I truly am.