Chapter 3

Warnings: Betrayal, mentions of violence/torture, general sadness

Going as fast as he possibly could he made his way to his good friend's house. Frantically dismounting the horse he barged through the door. "KENJIROU! KENJIROU I NEED HELP!!" He rushed around, looking for someone, for anyone inside the extravagant house. You might be wondering why; of all places did he choose to go there? Well, Shirabu's father was a very esteemed count, hence his family was very wealthy and had a lot of influence. Two things that are very handy when on the run from the authorities. "...Akira..? What are you doing here? What's the matter?" Kunimi tried to catch his breath, which is extremely difficult when your heart and mind are racing and adrenaline is surging through your body. "The police...they're after me...but I swear on my life I am innocent! I didn't do anything!" Shirabu nodded, slowly making his way towards his friend. "Calm down friend, I'm sure this is all just a misunderstanding." Kunimi nodded, taking deep breaths trying to tune out the smothering pound of his heart beat in his ears. "I'm sorry to bother you Kenjirou...I just- I didn't have anywhere else to go. I figured you could help me-" He was cut off by the glint of the sword Shirabu now had pointed at his chest. "Who do you think told the police of your treasonous deeds Akira?" Kunimi stilled, his best friend, his closest ally since childhood had been the one to betray him. It was then the doors busted open revealing the guards who had been chasing him. "You...How could you?! WE'VE BEEN FRIENDS SINCE WE WERE KIDS WHAT CHANGED?!" Shirabu threw the sword down as the guards once again took each of Kunimi's arms in their hold, Shirabu thrust a finger towards Kunimi's chest. "YOU DID! You were a poor, hopeless brat and yet YOU STILL HAVE EVERYTHING! WHAT DO I HAVE KUNIMI?! NOTHING!" Kunimi continued to shout as they once again dragged him out to the carriage, this time shackling his hands and ankles, before resuming their drive to the cliff. Opening the door, Kunimi was dragged out of the carriage and tossed to the edge, where he was led down into the boat, thus starting the voyage to the dreadful island prison. It was nearly morning by the time they got there, and waiting for them on the shore was the infamous, cruel and sadistic warden; Eita Semi. He was known for his cold heart and cruel tendencies one of which being the annual beatings the inmates would receive. "Akira Kunimi...arrested on charges of treason? Now that's interesting..." Kunimi scowled towards the ash blond, who returned a look of nonchalance. "Usually a traitor would have been tossed into some normal prison, but for you to end up here? You must have really done something to make someone important upset." Kunimi, more than ticked off at everything that had happened in the last few hours lunged at the warden. *SLAP* Semi brought his hand back to his side, as his other wiped it off with a handkerchief. "So this ones got spirit. That won't last long, it never does. Guards take him to the 'room', then to his cell. I need to have a proper discussion with this man." Approximately 2 hours later, Kunimi was tossed back into his cell, the skin on his back swollen and cut the blood running down his back was sticky and hot. Dragging himself to the wall he, with much difficulty, leaned against the wall. He could feel the tears streaming down his scuffed and dirty cheeks. But despite the pain he was in and the suffering he knew he would endure, nothing, nothing could distract him from his newfound goal. If there was one thing Akira Kunimi was going to achieve in his lifetime, no matter how long it took. He was going to avenge his name and take back his life from those who stole it from him.

*Back to Marseilles~*

Shirabu walked into Tendou's office, curious as to why he had been called there. He bowed, "Mr. Tendou, may I ask why you have called me here?" Tendou deviously smiled, "Why, to thank you of course." Smirking, Shirabu took a seat at the small table the magistrate kept in his office, happily accepting the drink Tendou had poured him. "I take it you'll be marrying the young lady." Shirabu nodded, swirling the dark amber liquid in the crystal glass. "That would be ideal, but something tells me she'll wait for ever and a day for Akira. Even if she knew he was going to rot away in Shiratorizawa." Tendou hummed, taking a sip of his own drink. "I have a proposition for you, Kenjirou." Shirabu raised an eyebrow, signaling Tendou to go on. "I am sure you can relate to my resentment of my father, seeing as I assume you have one for your own, yes?" Shirabu scoffed as he hummed in agreement, "Resentment would be an understatement." Shirabu's father was also a known Ushijimaist, so Shirabu knew what it was like to have an influential father who had an unpopular opinion. Tendou smiled, mischief heavy in his expression. "I'll make you a deal, get rid of my father and I'll convince the world; specifically your beloved Y/n that Akira Kunimi was executed. I'll also advise her to seek solace in your arms. Do we have a deal?" Shirabu smiled, downing the liquid he stood, putting on his coat and readying his hat, "I trust I won't be getting any prison time for this, Magistrate?" Tendou smiled, standing to shake Shirabu's hand. "Not even a day, too bad our good friend Akira cannot say the same." With that Shirabu left, preparing for the murder he would commit later that night. Sitting back down at his desk, Tendou got to work writing the letter and when he was finished he had it sent to the L/n household, where it was quickly received by Y/n. Y/n brought the letter to her room, sitting in the bay window she had in her room.

"Dear, Miss L/n. It is with great sorrow that I inform you of the death of your Fiancé, Akira Kunimi."

Her body was racked with sobs, her chest heaving desperately trying to catch her breath as she screamed out in denial. Willing her self to keep reading, the page was stained with her tears.

"He was arrested for treason; and it was proven he did indeed commit these acts. Above all else, he attempted to murder his good friend Kenjirou Shirabu. I am well aware of the pain you must be feeling, my condolences sincerely go out to you. But please, do accept Mr. Shirabu's advances, unlike your former lovers, are pure. I, as the Chief Magistrate can confirm this. Do go to him for comfort in this time of grieving as it would suit all parties involved.

-Satori Tendou Chief Magistrate of Marseilles~"

Dropping the letter from her hold, her hands came up to clutch at her head, tears flowing down her face and cascading down her arms. "Y/n! Y/n are you alright?!" Sitting up she looked out the window, seeing a frantic looking Shirabu outside. Ignoring the tears that continued to flow, she picked up her dress and ran outside, crashing into Shirabu as she sobbed, not realizing the man she was in the hold of was the one who had her beloved 'killed'. As the days went by she often went to Shirabu for comfort, the two grieved together of course, even if one was secretly rejoicing. He had finally won. After years of always coming second to someone lower than he, he had finally won. 'Sorry, old friend, but it was about time I was the victor.' There was guilt there for a little while, sure, but it was hard to be guilty when he was now the one to hold and love Y/n, the way he at least believed it always should have been.